Informed opinions matter

I have thought for a very long time about what to say in my first article of my last year at this beloved university. After tossing around ideas, I was struck heavily with inspiration during The Drill. As professor Whit Wade preached to the multitudes, evoking Bulldog spirit from the souls of the spectators, one of his five points gave me the eureka moment I would like to share with you, dear readers.
   Have an informed opinion. This is a simple, powerful concept. Attending college shows the world you are seeking a higher education. Take advantage of that assumption.     
This is a crucial time for us as young adults. Each of you are old enough to vote, some perhaps for the first time. The 2012 presidential election season is in full swing and November isn’t too far away. I beg you all: do not be ignorant or apathetic during this time. 
Even if you’re one of those people who hate politics, dive in anyway. Be aware. Research both presidential candidates and decide which one you believe will run the country best–that means thinking about current situations and future changes that could affect you one day.
 Decisions made now will affect your future, and not caring about them simply isn’t an option. Make an informed decision on your own.
I often become very frustrated when I open my Facebook account and see picture after picture of some sort of political agenda an acquaintance of mine constantly posts. I think what burns me most about them is not the content, though I do disagree with 99.9% of what she says, but the fact that I know she has no idea what she’s talking about. She is spouting off the beliefs of her friends, family and peers.
If you disagree with her in the slightest, she starts an argument. By rooting herself in a terribly narrow-minded environment, the only thing she is accomplishing with her posts and opinions is polluting my Facebook and pissing a lot of people off. Don’t be that person. I want each of you to have a well-informed, educated opinion about the world.
Some final advice I’d like to leave you all with is to watch the news.
 I certainly encourage each of you to read the news online and read newspapers (good job!), but devote time during your day to actually watch the news. Watch multiple stations. Even if you hate CNN with a burning passion, follow up with their stories.
Have an informed opinion. If it differs from others, and it will, so be it. Respect them and move on.
Frustration and bashing of others often comes from not understanding. Be informed, and have a wonderful journey as you grow up and become an outstanding, well-rounded and educated person.