Water Polo Poses a Challenge

This year’s Olympic Games in London included many physically demanding athletic events. In my opinion, none were more strenuous than water polo.
Just imagine a 220-pound defender draped all over you pushing you underneath the water while you are gasping for breath. Your legs and arms are burning in pain after swimming and treading water for more than 24 minutes, and now you have to muster the energy to score or pass the ball. I do not know about you, but this is not my idea of a good time.
Water polo is a sport that requires maximum endurance and skill. You must have the ability to tread water, swim the length of a 30 meter pool back and forth, the sense to dribble and pass the ball while only using one hand, shoot into a goal guarded by a goalie who is basically in a fixed position for the entire match and thwart off defenders for four eight-minute quarters. There are not many of us who have the ability or the stamina to endure such physical strain. The often physical play has led some to refer to water polo as “water rugby” and was known as such until the name was changed to water polo. The barbaric nature of the sport has not surprisingly left many players bloodied and bruised.
Water polo is a combination of field hockey, soccer and handball. The catch to the game is that you are in water the entire time and are not allowed to touch bottom. The goalie is the only player allowed to touch the bottom of the pool at any given time. Each team consists of seven players (six field players and a goalkeeper). Only four substitutions are allowed in any given match, which means at least two players must play for the entire match.
The object is to outscore your opponent in the time allotted while swimming on average a total of three kilometers during a single match.
Players use a kicking style known as the “egg-beater” while treading water which allows them to keep from touching the bottom of the pool. This style also enables them to stay far enough above the water to have the ability to pass or shoot while on offense. The treading water style also allows defensive players to block the path of a pass or shot. While on defense, a modified back stroke is also used to keep the advancing offensive players in sight.
Not only do the players need to be conscious about touching bottom, but they also have to consciously use one hand and set offensive and defensive plays while suffering from fatigue as the match draws on. The goalie is the only player allowed to touch bottom and use both hands. This does not necessarily mean the goalie position is the easiest considering the goalie is responsible for stopping shots at point-blank range, more often than not traveling at average speeds of up to 56 mph.
Next time you go for a leisurely swim think about what being a water polo player takes and how this sport has to be the most physically demanding sport of the Summer Olympic Games.