Cotton District introduces new stop sign, art

The intersection of University Drive and Maxwell Street is now home to two new stop signs.
The stop signs went up Aug. 3 in order to cut down on pedestrian accidents. According to Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman, the Starkville Board of Alderman approved the stop signs last spring.
“It actually came about as a result of concerns expressed by merchants in the area that the nature of that street corner had changed substantially with new commercial activity in recent years,” he said.
Wiseman said the board felt placing the stop signs at the intersection had become a safety mandate.
Starkville Police Chief David Lindley said a number of different traffic calming devices have been used in the past to try to slow traffic, including flashing lights, rumble strips, lowering the speed limit and the addition of street art this summer.
The street art is situated in the middle of the intersection. Lindley said its purpose is to attract the interest of the driver so they will slow down and observe it. Although street art is usually located at intersections without stop signs or red lights, Lindley said he believes the odd combination of the art and stop signs will increase pedestrian safety.
 His principal concern is reducing the risk involving pedestrians and vehicles in an area that often sees at least one pedestrian-to-vehicle accident per year.
“We are not going to use it as a traffic enforcement device as much as it would be in other intersections,” he said. “Primarily, this will be used as a traffic stopper as far as safety is concerned.”
Bin 612’s general manager Andy Thornton said the intersection was a little hectic at first until everyone got used to the stop signs. He also said he sees the benefit of having the new additions at the intersection.
“In the long run it is just going to keep everyone safer, especially at nighttime,” he said.
Tyler Achee, senior finance major, is living in the Cotton District for his third straight year and said he never felt fear walking around the intersection at night.
“They are an inconvenience but serve the purpose of creating a reason for people to slow down, especially at night when the businesses are busy,” he said.
Elisabeth D’Amore, senior meteorology major, also lives in the Cotton District and said she can see the positive and negative sides of the stop signs.
“They seem to be a good idea to make drivers pay attention to people in the Cotton District on the weekend, but it is an awkward stop sign,” she said. “It seems totally unnecessary during the week days and during the day time.”
Lindley said actions are being taken to inform people about the stop signs. As of now, no tickets have been written and no complaints have been made about the stop signs. He warned everyone to still be cautious when walking across that intersection.
“Be aware of the fact that just because a stop sign and a crosswalk are there does not necessarily mean that all people will observe it and realize it is there or come to a stop,” he said. “There has never been one there before and you have a lot of longtime residents who are still not used to the fact that the stop sign is there.”
Lindley said everyone should be especially alert this weekend because of returning alumni and visitors who are not accustomed to the stop signs.