Dogs Go Deep in 2012

The 2012 Mississippi State Bulldog football team is poised for a 2012 SEC title run. The Bulldogs lost key starters from the 2011 campaign, but returners are ready to step up.
If there’s one recurring theme for the 2012 Mississippi State football squad, it’s depth. The Bulldogs return key starters from last year’s team, and are ready to compete for a conference championship.
The Bulldogs return junior quarterback Tyler Russell of Meridian, Miss. Russell, who was used in the dual-system along with Chris Relf last season, is ready to be in control of this year’s team as well as orchestrating the offense for the 2012 campaign. Behind him is redshirt freshman Dak Prescott. Prescott who enrolled early last January, will not be taking to role of a backup according to Mullen, but has entered fall camp with the mentality of seeing playing time.
“He’s not taking a backup mindset,” Mullen said. “He’s taking the mindset of ‘I’m going to get some playing time. I think it would make him a little more relaxed in knowing he’s going to play.”
The quarterbacks will have plenty of targets as the Bulldogs return multiple starters to the receiving position. The Dogs return senior starters Arecto Clark, Chad Bumphis, Chris Smith and Brandon Heavens who saw quality-playing time in the 2011 season, and will seek to continue their impact as deep-field threats.
Sophomore receiver Jameon Lewis has discovered his role as wide receiver in fall camp after making the transition from cornerback when he arrived on campus. Lewis, who caught four passes for 113 yards and one touchdown in last year’s opener at Memphis, was a standout in practice this fall and will make an immediate impact at the receiver position. Redshirt freshman Joe Morrow of Ocean Springs is a big target at 6’4″ and has worked in the offseason to improve his routes.
Returning center Dillon Day, and guards Gabe Jackson and Tobias Smith will anchor the offensive line. With 19 linemen on the active roster, Mullen says every one is getting repetitions in practice in order to build experience and team chemistry.
“You need all five guys working together,” Mullen said. “The longer they’re together, the more comfortable they are.”
The flexibility of the offensive line will be a new feature this season, as multiple players have experience of playing multiple positions on the line.
Returner LaDarius Perkins will lead the running back corps. Perkins notched 844-all purpose yards and four touchdowns in the 2011 season. He will be accompanied by Nick Griffin who is ready to see playing time after missing the first five games last year due to a knee injury.  Freshmen Derrick Milton and Josh Robinson are adjusting well to practices according to coaches and are hopeful to see playing time this season.
One of the strong points for the Bulldogs this year will come from the defensive side of the ball.
Senior Josh Boyd and junior college transfer Denico Autry bookend a strong defensive line.
The linebacker corps arguably boasts the most depth on the squad as Cameron Lawrence, Deontae Skinner and Ferlando Bohanna return for a successful season along with newcomers Richie Brown and Beniquez Brown.
“They’re a really close group, a really talented group,” linebackers coach Geoff Collins said. “We specifically recruited them for reason and they’re proving to be who we wanted them to be.”
“There’s a great camaraderie we have on the team right now,” Collins continued. “The offense is doing great, the defense is doing great, and even though we’re competing as hard as you can possibly compete, you still love each other and care for each other which is a neat dynamic that every team in the country doesn’t get to.”
Seniors Johnthan Banks and Corey Broomfield returned for their senior seasons and will wreak havoc in the secondary defense. Banks, who was named to four preseason award watch lists, is encouraged by the production from the rest of the defensive group.
“I’m out here working had with my guys, working hard with my offense. We’re just trying to come out here and work hard every day to get better,” Banks said. “All the young guys are playing hard and they’re learning. Everything looks good so far, but we still have room to get better.”
The Bulldogs will continue to practice next week in preparation for their season opener against Jackson State on Sept. 1.