World crises are sensational

In American culture we like to pick “fads” or “hot topics.” These trends usually have a life span of a couple months, and if they are a really big hit, maybe a year tops. This can even be said for public figures. For instance, where did the Jonas Brothers go? And do little girls still scream over Justin Bieber the same way anymore? Our tendency to move on quickly does not stop with pop sensations but also with hard-hitting, real life issues,
Recently the Haaretz Daily released an article about “price-tag” persecution taking place in Palestine between Muslims and Christians. Recently a Christian Monastery near Jerusalem was set on fire and anti-Christian slogans were spray-painted all over the walls.  The Catholic Church has condemned the attack and believes those involved should be seriously punished.
The issues between Palestinians and Christians in the Middle East are not unheard of. In fact there are many groups, such as Hope Equals, whose mission is to help establish peace between these people groups. This could very well be the next bandwagon movement some Americans jump on.
 Many will remember the overwhelming sensation known as Kony 2012. This was a campaign to expose Joseph Kony, the leader of a guerrilla group in Uganda. There were reports this group was kidnapping children and forcing the girls into sex slavery while the boys were trained as child soldiers for the group.
After the release of a documentary, “Invisible Children,” American society went crazy over the issue.
All across the country, people were speaking out against Kony and demanding he be apprehended. There were posters and signs up all over cities and nearly everyone’s profile picture was changed to the logo of the movement.
After Kony was captured, I don’t recall hearing much else about the young children we were fighting for in the first place. The fad of fighting against this evil man had died out because the drama was now over. However the whole point of capturing Kony was to save the invisible children. Does anyone know where they are now?
 It seems to me that once the sensation of a person or a movement is over we simply move on with our lives, but there are still very real people being affected even after cameras stop rolling.
Are we only giving to those in need when everyone else is? Do we stand up and fight for those who cannot do for themselves only when it is the cool thing to do?
There is no shock to anyone who has lived overseas that there are a lot of things going on outside of the United States.
Having spent a very small portion of my college career in the Philippines I realized how small-minded I was. I’m not advocating apathy in the sense that we never do anything because we may not be important enough to make a difference, but why is it so difficult for us to see things through?
 I find we enjoy being involved in the hype of an issue but don’t quite understand how to follow through with the grunt work. Most activists do not live a glamorous lifestyle.
The only experience I can offer is mission work. We have this idea that it is filled with adventure and awesome situations, which it is on occasion. The crucial moments, however, can be slow and tedious groundwork for something greater to happen later.
Don’t get me wrong. The publicity that is achieved with the bandwagon mentality is wonderful to any cause that needs help. The excitement or passion cannot stop there.
Rome wasn’t built in a day; the serious issues in our world won’t be fixed overnight or with 1000 tweets and Facebook status changes.