Student Association’s response to voting procedures

Having read the letter written regarding the upcoming Homecoming Elections by Bailey Hansen, the Student Association wanted to respond to his concerns and address some of the points he expressed. 
   It might be helpful to gain some insight on how the current elections system and code came to be. 
  Prior to online election voting at MSU, the elections code required many rules and regulations that are no longer practiced due to a different style of both voting and campaigning. 
    After online voting was first established for MSU elections, our elections code has seen revisions and changes every year. 
  However, while  SA has made steps towards the right direction in changing the code, some of the changes that have taken place year after year simply do not make sense when all are added together. 
 A great example of this is the convoluted “polling place” system that Mr. Hansen refers to in his letter.
This year, SA is taking a new approach toward modifying the elections code. 
Rather than revising the lofty 12-page code piece by piece, we plan to evaluate the entire code as a whole and make substantive changes. 
We hope that this will leave the code both more simplified, understandable and appropriate for future elections. 
SA absolutely shares the concern of Mr. Hansen and others in the student body of what elections have come to look like on our campus. 
Student voices complaining of over-aggressive campaigning are heard loud and clear. 
President Shelby Balius, vice president Park Wynn, attorney general Donny Banerjee and others have been meeting regularly to help formulate and prepare recommendations for legislation for the Senate to review this year. 
It is important to remember that change is a process. As SA works to revise the elections code, we ask for your patience and appreciate your willingness to voice your concerns.