Volleyball looks to improve conference play from last season

Before last weekend, the Mississippi State volleyball team had a 2-4 record in tournament play. After starting the season with a record of 2-1 in the 2012 Maroon Classic, State lost all three matches in the 2012 Luxe City Center Trojan Invitational, hosted by the University of Southern California.
Last weekend, the team traveled to New Orleans for the 2012 Allstate Sugar Bowl Collegiate Classic. After winning their first two matches against Sam Houston State and Tulane, the Bulldogs fell short against the Pittsburgh Panthers in the Title Match in four sets, taking second place in the tournament and falling to a 4-5 record for the season. Junior setter Paris Perret said the tournament helped the team in preparing for the future.
“It was definitely a learning experience for all of us. Even though we lost one of the sets, it showed us what we have to work on in the future as a team,” Perret said.
Although the Bulldogs did not win the tournament, a couple of factors stood out over the weekend. One is the play of sophomore Lainey Wyman and freshman Sarah Nielsen. Both of these individuals were named to the All-Tournament Team after combining for 30 kills and 10 blocks in the final match. This tournament marked Wyman’s season debut after serving a suspension earlier in the season. After being named to the All-Tournament team, Wyman said her focus was on the future, regardless of the weekend’s honors.
 ”It’s really exciting to come back and get that, but we still have a lot of things to work on as a team,” Wyman said.
Nielsen said she also felt pride in this accomplishment.
“It was a great honor to be chosen for the All-Tournament Team out of all of the great players that were there over the weekend,” Nielsen said.
Another factor that stood out over the weekend was the team’s passing and serving. In a press release, head coach Jenny Hazelwood said having Wyman back helped the girls see what they are capable of doing.
“When we’re at our best, we’re serving tough and passing well. When that happens, any of our hitters are capable of getting kills,” Hazelwood said.
Looking ahead to this upcoming weekend, State will face the Auburn Tigers, a fellow SEC West opponent, at the Newell-Grissom Building tonight at 7. After sweeping the Tigers last season, MSU looks to beat Auburn three times in a row, a feat that was last accomplished in the 2007 and 2008 seasons.
The Bulldogs are also looking to take down SEC East opponent Georgia on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in the Newell-Grissom Building. State lost both matches against Georgia last season.
Wyman said this weekend’s matches are very important.
“We are all coming in with a different focus. SEC play is a lot tougher, and since we get to play our first matches at home, it is important that we start off well,” she said.
Junior setter Paris Perret said she agreed this weekend’s matches carry much weight as they set the pace for the season.
“We have to win. It is not a question of whether or not we are going to win these games; we just have to win,” Perret said. “I know we are good enough to win.”
 With the team currently holding a 4-5 overall record before conference play begins, this weekend will be the start of a different type of season. State is looking forward to having a solid start to SEC play, due to the importance of these matches if MSU is looking for a berth in the NCAA Tournament at the year’s end.
Coach Jenny Hazelwood said she is confident in the matches this weekend.
“We look at every weekend as a must-win weekend. We want to start off 2-0 in the SEC,” Hazelwood said. “Teams are going to have a hard time beating us at home because we always have such a great crowd.”
Last season, the Bulldogs began SEC play with a 1-1 record after opening weekend, then falling to 4-6 overall in the SEC at home. A 2-0 start for this year’s team in the opening weekend of SEC play is the first step to improving on last season’s record.