New South Weekend provides fan events

The members of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership are excited to kick off this year’s New South Weekend events today, before the Mississippi State vs. Auburn game.
New South Weekends are planned for every home game and provide events for fans to attend all weekend long. This weekend will include a Downtown Block Party on Friday and the Bulldog Brunch & Browse on Sunday.
The Downtown Block Party will feature live music and entertainment to keep the crowd pumped, a fashion show to highlight the cutest tailgating wear, along with food vendors and plenty of late night shopping. There will also be a Kids’ Village filled with activities such as inflatable jumpers, henna tattoos, face painting and Bully. This event is free to the public and will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. at College Park on Russell Street.
Jeremiah Dumas, alderman ward 5 and chairperson of the Starkville Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, said this event has been greatly beneficial to Starkville and MSU fans.
“The New South Weekend program is a program where we don’t try to invent new events but coordinate fun activities available for all fans. We have a documented program online so everyone can see our schedule for the entire season,” he said.
Melissa Ford, MSU alumna, said she enjoys New South Weekends and believes the events are a great way to give fans an enjoyable weekend.
“As a graduate of Mississippi State, I enjoy visiting Starkville for the home games. The New South Weekends are a great way to enjoy my game weekend and make it fun to bring friends and family members along,” she said.
The Bulldog Brunch & Browse will be held every Sunday during the New South Weekends.
The participating stores and restaurants will be open from noon until 3 p.m.
Letty Stricklin, manager of Libby Story on Main Street, said New South Weekends brings an entertaining air to Starkville.
“New South Weekends create a really fun atmosphere downtown during football season. Pretty much every weekend, there is an event for Bulldog fans to attend,” Stricklin said. “Unwine Downtown is probably my favorite. The entire store is 20 percent off, and people can come and shop and try different wines.”
Libby Story is offering 10 percent off all maroon and white items every day during football season. They also offer 10 percent off to people who come in wearing maroon on Maroon Fridays.
The full list of participating merchants can be found on The Greater Starkville Development’s website.