Intramurals give non-athletes a chance

The intramural program at Mississippi State University offers men’s, women’s and co-ed teams, along with dual and single sports. MSU has had a very successful intramural program for many years, but it is not just for those who played sports in high school or play sports now.
When asked what might stop her from playing an intramural sport, Sara McNair, sophomore accounting major, said there was not enough information.
“Also, I’m not very athletic so that would deter me as well,” McNair said.
Approximately 34,000 to 35,000 participated in intramurals from summer 2010 to summer 2011. With officials, spectators and anyone else who might have stepped onto the field, the count reaches about 54,000. Julie Rhoads, a graduate assistant of intramural and club sports, said she estimated only a little over half of the participants have played previously.
Andrew Adams, sophomore industrial and systems engineering major, said he agreed with McNair that finding sign-up information could be difficult.
When asked if they knew about the free agent list, both McNair and Adams said no.
“I’ve actually never heard of it,” McNair said. The free agent list is located in the intramural office where students can sign up without a team for an intramural sport they’d like to play. If another team is looking for extra players, it can check the free agent list and give that person a call.
For those students who are nervous about trying out for a sport they have never played before, the graduate assistants from the intramural and sport club gave some advice.
“Try out smaller sports first,” Rhoads said, “Our new sport this year is battleship, and it’s fun. We put four canoes in the shallow end of the pool and the teams try to sink one another.”
Philip Meaker, a graduate assistant of intramural and sport club said he hopes students will get out and be active.
 ”Just try it or come watch. We play in Sanderson and on the fields,” he said.
Entry fees for intramural sports vary from $2 to $120. There are new sign-ups available each week, and entry forms for all sports are available in the Intramural Office. Its hours are Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fridays.
For those interested in joining an intramural team, information can be found on posters around campus, in town and in residence halls. Information can also be found in the Intramural Office located in the Sanderson Center, on its website and at the table in the Union every Thursday. zebras.  The safari is definitely worth your time to visit. You will never forget your weekend at this fenceless zoo. I sure didn’t!