‘Doctor Who’ visits America, increasing historical events portrayed

Signs of blue police boxes and sonic-screwdrivers have become increasingly familiar across our campus the last few years. While many have no clue what these objects mean, those who do know they originated from the wildly popular British television show “Doctor Who.” Many Netflix subscribers have probably seen it pop up on their instant queue and had no idea what the show is, which is fair.
Believe it or not, “Doctor Who” is the longest running television series currently on air, celebrating its 50th anniversary next year.
The protagonist of the series, the Doctor (currently portrayed by Matt Smith, the 11th actor to have the role) and his companions, are not bound by any setting.
One episode can begin in ancient Rome, and the next can see the group on a distant planet thousands of years in the future. They could be saving William Shakespeare one week or rescuing dinosaurs on a spaceship the following.
With “Doctor Who,” the viewer is never quite sure what he or she are going to see from week to week, and that has increased the longevity of the show by decades.
The question is why this show is crossing the Atlantic Ocean and resonating with American audiences.
American entertainment has taken shows like “The Office” and “Skins,” which originated in Britain, and transformed them into our own versions. “Doctor Who,” on the other hand, has been embraced wholly and unchanged.
The show is not overly British, but it is extremely cheesy at times. The only resource the Doctor has at his disposal is his cleverness.
This characteristic is what crosses the cultural divide, however. Americans especially love rooting for the underdog in a situation.
Whether the Doctor and his companions are facing down an alien fleet or an angry village mob, they always manage to come out on top.
Every viewer, no matter heritage, age or gender, understands fear, and this is what we learn to overcome through these characters.
The voice of the American people is not lost on the show either. The last three series have seen an increasing number of stories featuring America’s history.
Episodes have showcased time periods such as the 1969 moon landing and the American Old West. Coming up, the Doctor will visit present-day New York in an episode promising to be heartfelt for current viewers (farewell, Ponds).
So, give the show a shot on Netflix. Fair warning, the first few episodes show their age, but give the Doctor time and the series could become an instant favorite.