Student makes impression on campus as ‘hula hoop girl’

Everyone who walks on the Drill Field has probably at one time or another asked, “Why is that girl hula hooping?”
Kara Chapman is the name of that girl frequently seen spinning those colorful hoops round and round. Chapman, a junior double-majoring in history and Spanish, said what sparked her interest in this hobby was watching a circus act.
“I went to a circus about three or four years ago and thought it was cool. A week later I bought a hoop at Wal-Mart,” she said.
Chapman has been twirling ever since then and has upped her number of hoops to 22. She usually hula hoops about one to three hours a day and the longest she has ever spun was for 17 hours. This lengthy spin was during Tents for Tickets last fall, and she just did it to pass the time.
Chapman said she does not plan on stopping any time soon.
“I do not think that I will stop because I have seen 60-year-olds who hula hoop. It’s good exercise, and I just have so much fun with it,” she said.
This activity is more than just a fun hobby; it is also a great way to fit some enjoyable exercise into a busy college student’s schedule. Hula hooping can add some fun to your fitness routine, instead of running the same route over and over again. Chapman said she has heard hula hooping is a proven stress reducer.
Taylor Ellis, sophomore poultry science major, said Chapman makes her happy on her way to class.
“Kara just puts a smile on your face, and it makes me feel happy. She is friendly and always willing to interact with students that come up to her,” Ellis said.
Chapman said hula hooping is a good way to meet other students.
“I like the atmosphere of the Drill Field,” she said.
Chapman has performed at various events displaying her talent. She did shows at halftime of the basketball games at her high school. Since she has attended Mississippi State University she has performed at the International Fiesta and the Mississippi Brawl Stars roller derby halftime show.
Emily Dance, a sophomore majoring in electrical engineering, said Chapman is making an impact on MSU.
“Chapman is the only one of her kind.  Other schools do not have anything like her, and I think it truly adds to everyone’s college experience. Bully better watch out because I think we might have a new icon on campus,” Dance said.
Through her hula hooping on the Drill Field and practicing in the Sanderson she has started to make her mark at MSU.  It is becoming a unique aspect of student life that contributes to the campus’s atmosphere. Students should not be afraid to approach Chapman on the Drill Field; she is a friendly face always willing to talk about her favorite activity: hula hooping.