Gender stereotypes are offensive

Editor’s Note: This is in response to the article entitled “Face-off: Girls Shows vs. Guys Shows” published Oct. 17 in The Reflector.

As I was flipping through Friday’s Reflector, I was surprised and dismayed to find what I assume is a weekly column, “Girl Shows vs. Guy Shows.”
Let me break this down. First of all, I resent my interests being stereotyped and categorized based on gender.
All my life I have been told, “Pink is for girls. Blue is for boys. Barbies are for females; comic books are for males.”
Blue is my favorite color, I had quite an array of superhero comics as a child (and now), and I play “Call of Duty” on a regular basis. This by no means makes me any less of a girl.
Now, as I skimmed the column, my heart sank. Out of the three shows listed for “girls”? Not one of them had I seen a single episode of. “Gossip Girl,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Once Upon a Time” are not shows relevant to my interests.
I completely acknowledge that for many, these shows are the best thing on television. But such is not the case for every girl on the planet. I am not the minority here, either.
A good 90 percent of my female friends can attest to the same thing. “The Walking Dead” and “How I Met Your Mother,” however, are two shows I quite enjoy.
In fact, I honestly cannot fathom what led the writer to conclude that “How I Met Your Mother” is a show for “guys.” It is equally engaging to both sexes and incredibly entertaining to boot.
Separating these shows by gender? You might as well call something like “Glee” a show strictly for homosexuals.
Obviously, this is not the case. While I do appreciate the idea of reviewing the latest episodes of these popular shows, please perhaps consider doing it in a way that doesn’t ostracize or otherwise passively reject the other half of the human race.