Passion Pit to perform at the Lyric in Oxford

Passion Pit, a band known for its entrancing electro-pop style of music, is scheduled to play at The Lyric in Oxford, Miss., tonight.  The band has previously performed at big name music festivals such as Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and the Governors’ Ball Music Festival. 
Tim Burkhead, production manager for The Lyric, said a band as talented as Passion Pit naturally sells tickets to its shows with little advertisement needed.
“Really, I don’t think we have done as much advertising as we would do for a smaller show. We have done a few newspaper ads, but since the tickets are selling so well, there is not a lot of advertising required for the event. We’ve sold about 1,000 tickets, and that’s about capacity for the venue,” Burkhead said.
Burkhead said he booked Passion Pit because he has heard the band will be straightforward in its performance.
“The show is just about the music, so it should be a pretty solid show. We just want people to know we can bring big bands they recognize to The Lyric,” Burkhead said.
Aspiring musician, Chase Caffey, freshman undeclared major, said he believes people should attend the Passion Pit show because the band’s style sets them apart from those it could be compared to.
“The style is totally different than all the mainstream music. In this day and age to be successful in music, it’s all about being different and catching the audience’s eye. As an artist myself, it’s definitely opened up my ideas to how different music can be. Even though it isn’t my style, I still appreciate it,” Caffey said.
Caffey said he respects the band’s originality because it is something which is hard to find these days.
“They aren’t trying to be anything that they aren’t. They are true to their style, and they are playing on stage to play the music they love, not to try and copy anybody,” Caffey said.
Anna Regan Owens, junior interdisciplinary studies major, said she has been a fan of Passion Pit for three years now and has connected with its songs.
“Their lyrics actually have meaning behind them.  The lyrics to the songs in the album ‘Manners’ are so good, it’s insane,” said Owens.
Though Owens has never been to a Passion Pit show before, she said she hopes to go to one next time the band is in the surrounding area.
“I have friends that have seen them before, and they said their shows are just amazing. The way they present themselves on stage is just different,” Owens said.
The doors to the show open at 8 p.m. and the show begins at 9 p.m. with performers: Youngblood and Hallerado, followed by Passion Pit. For more information on this event and upcoming events at The Lyric, visit thelyricoxford.com.