Homecoming 2012 Preview

Once a year, the atmosphere on Mississippi State University’s campus completely changes for one week. The normal level of school spirit at MSU is sent into hyperdrive as it approaches one of the most important Saturdays of the year: Homecoming. This week is one of the traditions that makes the fall semester feel completely different from the spring semester. Students by this time are settled into their classes, residence halls and have six football wins under their belt. Homecoming allows students to see an unparalleled campus unity as we welcome the fall and, hopefully, the Bulldogs’ seventh win of the season.
             Starting weeks before with the scramble of campaigning for Homecoming Court elections, the ambience of campus slowly starts to shift. After elections are said and done, the­ Student Association, Alumni Association and Athletics Department work hard to organize activities beginning the Sunday before Homecoming. Festivities officially begin on Sunday, Oct.14 with a chapel service in the Chapel of Memories. Spirits stay high with “Rep our STATE,” “After Dark at the Hump,” and a showing of “The Dark Knight” in the Junction on Wednesday, Oct. 17. Thursday has MSU’s first “Plazapalooza: A Battle of the Bands,” a competition hosted by SA and Music Maker Productions.  The winner of this competition will open at Bulldog Bash in November.
            Once classes end for the week, Friday kicks the weekend into high gear. Beginning at 4 p.m., the Homecoming Parade will work its way from University Drive down to the end of the Junction. After the parade reaches the Junction, a Pep Rally is held to psych students for the game. Events continue into the night with the Junior Auxillary Chili Cook-Off, our Lady Bulldogs MSU volleyball game vs. South Carolina, and a step show in the Newell-Grissom Building.
            Finally, it is game time. The Junction will light up unlike any game so far this year with family, alumni and friends from all over. Alumni from decades ago and potential future Bulldogs will congregate in the Junction to embrace our dear old school. The Alumni Association will host a large tailgate in front of the M-Club, and then we head in for the MSU vs. Middle Tennessee football game.     
            Be sure to visit www.sa.msstate.edu for a thorough look at the events happening this week.