Respect is always earned, not given

Ranked No. 11 in the BCS, the Mississippi State University Bulldogs still receive no respect from the media.
Just take a look at the spread for Saturday’s battle for first in the SEC West at Alabama: 23.5 in favor of the Tide.
If this doesn’t make you the least bit upset, take a look at that number again.
We are undefeated and tied for first in the West, yet picked to lose by more than 23 points to Bama. Something is not right with that logic.
However, although the media does not give State much respect, opposing teams are beginning to recognize MSU as a contender in the SEC.
Alabama head coach Nick Saban has said multiple times this week MSU will be Bama’s toughest matchup so far this season.
Granted, Bama has not faced the top teams in the SEC yet, but still, coming from Saban, I’ll take the compliment.
The theme of the year for the Dogs has been, “They haven’t played anyone yet.”
While it is true State has a brutal last five games of the season, Alabama should be placed in the same boat.
The Tide started off the season with a beat down of Michigan. (Who didn’t see that coming?) The Wolverines have not turned out to be as good as expected.
In the SEC, Bama demolished Arkansas, without starting quarterback Tyler Wilson, and Missouri, without starting quarterback James Franklin.
The Tide only beat Ole Miss by 19 in Tuscaloosa and routed Tennessee in Knoxville last weekend.
I’m not saying Alabama isn’t as good as people say. I completely agree the Tide is the top team in the country.
All I’m saying is MSU deserves more respect, and there’s not a better time for State to do just that than this weekend in Tuscaloosa.
The upset would take a near-perfect game from the Dogs and some turnovers by the Tide, but it is possible.
If LaDarius Perkins continues his steady play and racks up another 100-yard game and some touchdowns and Tyler Russell throws for another 200 to 300 yards, State could just come away with the win.
Obviously, Johnthan Banks will get a pick. After that, Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron will get nervous and throw another interception as Josh Boyd and Denico Autrey breath down his throat.
Will it be easy? Not at all. Do I think this Bulldog team is up to the challenge and capable of pulling off the upset? I do.
But the Dogs will need some help. State fans must quickly learn how to be loud without cowbells and come ready to support the Dogs. Hail State.