Former students reflect on college, career planning

Thinking about one’s future can be scary. Graduating from college is a milestone in one’s life and once that feat has been accomplished, a feeling of “what now?” may ensue.
Emilee Harris found herself in that situation a couple of years ago. The then-Mississippi State University senior had spent four years majoring in broadcast meteorology, something she loved but realized during her senior year was not what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.
“That’s when panic mode set in,” she said. “I had spent four years going in a direction I no longer wanted to go in. How was I going to get a job in something that I had little experience in?”
Harris was minoring in communication at the time and said she realized her true passion resided in editing. She began talking to trusted professors about her predicament and realized more classes were not an option; it was the experience in the field she needed.
“I spent the rest of my senior year in the computer labs, teaching myself all I could learn about video editing,” she said. “I took any opportunity that came my way, such as helping the baseball team with a video project, editing my friends’ video projects for school and (taking) an unpaid internship for a couple months at a video production company that would later be very beneficial.”
Although the lack of experience was an issue, Harris also had to break the news to her parents.
“As you can imagine, they were not very happy when I told them what I had worked so hard on for four years was not what I was going to do,” she said.
All was not lost, though. Harris set her sights on what she really wanted and worked diligently to accomplish that goal by sending nearly 100 resume tapes in hopes of getting her foot in the door. Now, she works at a job she said she loves with Broadcast Media Group, all because of her efforts to beat the odds.
Harris’s story is not uncommon.
Lindsay McMurtray, a recent MSU graduate, said graduating without a clear-cut career path is common for a generation that has no choice but to attend college.
Lauren Clark, another recent grad, said even if one knew the perfect major going into college, one might not know the perfect career.
Karyn Brown, an instructor in the Department of Communication and coordinator of internships and broadcasting, said she hears from students every single day who are in the same situation of not wanting to pursue a career related to their field of study.
“If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I’d be rich,” she said with a smile.
Brown said many students change their major multiple times during their college career, or at least think about it, and according to a 2005 MSNBC article, 50 percent of college students who declare a major will change it at least once, if not more. The article states 80 percent of entering college freshmen will be undeclared, and the indecisiveness contributes to 40 percent of students in four-year degree programs who still have not earned one after the sixth year of study.
Brooke Collins, MSU campus visits coordinator, said one of the biggest problems soon-to-be college graduates face is having the courage to pursue what they really want to do with their lives, an issue stemming from early undergraduate decisions such as choosing a major.
“You know yourself better than your parents,” she said.
Brown said students should think about what they are good at and what they enjoy, instead of choosing a major or a career just because it offers job security.
“Parents and friends have expectations for your career, but no college education is a waste of time,” she said. “College is a path and a journey, and any college degree can be used as a stepping stone for your future.”
There are several guidelines to follow when planning ones future in terms of career choices and what to expect when that long-awaited graduation day arrives. Whether you are an undecided freshman or a soon-to-be graduate, following these tips can help take away a great deal of doubt and stress.
DO research. Know your faculty and staff, and then use those resources.
 ”Motivation and research go hand in hand,” Collins said, and research is the most important thing when planning. The Career Center offers several resources that provide information about different job positions, including statistics that provide insight about employment in certain fields.
DON’T be afraid of change.
Collins said if one feels even for a moment you are unhappy in your major, you should immediately figure out why and look for a solution, even if it means changing your major. Brown said students should be prepared for anything, especially in relation to the economy, which can be uncertain. Try to keep your options open in terms of where you want to live and what type of environment you would like to work in.
DO have a Plan B…and C, D, E…
Plan early, and never stop. Brown said career shadowing early can really make a difference in terms of choosing a major and planning a certain career, and internships really help people understand the job.
Don’t limit your options; DO follow your heart.
“You know what you’re good at,” Brown said. “Try not to think of your education and training as all or nothing. Try to learn as much about job options in your field before graduation.”
Clark said it is okay to try different things until you find the right fit.
“Part time jobs can be your best friends in terms of gaining experience and opening doors,” she said. “Your dream job is out there waiting for you to find it.”
DO be flexible.
McMurtray said she had no idea what she was looking for post-graduation but has fortunately been surrounded by family and friends who believe in her and her goals.
“Ultimately, I’m working as a photographer right now, which isn’t what I thought I’d be doing and I never needed a degree to do it,” she says. “You have to find something, anything, even if it’s just a job for the moment.”