Be an informed voter

It’s almost over. The presidential election is almost here, and the bombardment of political propaganda that you’re undoubtedly receiving will be halted for the most part.
So now is the time to focus through the clutter, and ask yourself the tough questions, if you haven’t already.
In light of this, I want to give you a few, quick, random things to think about as well as leave you with a question.
First off, remember that this election is in no way superior to local or state elections.
They all work together. If you care about what happens at the federal level, than you should use this election as a springboard into more participation with the local stuff.
Make sure your vote reflects for what you stand. Fight through the mess that surrounds each issue, and get to the heart of them.
There are so many issues we don’t think clearly about, and we limit our voice when we muddle them. Embrace vigorous discussion. Seldom do we find better opportunities to engage with people about social issues than presidential elections.
This kind of dialogue is at the very heart of intellectual growth; we should not run from such a blessing.
Understand the gravity of this election.
President Obama and Governor Romney differ on some major issues, both economically and socially.
As I’ve written elsewhere, I think that some of these differences reveal major paradigm differences in how governments should work. If you’re curious, look up the equality of outcome and equality of purpose discussion.
And now the question I’d like to leave you with: How do we even decide on a presidential candidate?
Do we pick the candidate because of issues? Do we do it because of the potential for financial gain?
Do we pick based on how much good the candidate could do for others? This question stresses me, because more than I’d like to admit, I give lip service to it.
But why does it matter? Most of us know exactly who we’re going to bubble in, and we know exactly why we’re going to do it. We don’t need to go over this.
But I can’t help but wonder if, especially in the younger generation, we vote based on image more than anything else.
It’s no secret Obama dominated the younger vote in 2008 and is expected to have a similar backing in this election.
I’m not saying that young people only vote for Obama because that’s the cool thing to do, but I am surprised at how little informed some of us are on the issues. But it works both ways.
There are far too many Romney voters who will simply vote that way because he is who their parents support. What does this tell us about ourselves?
I think it reveals that in either case, whether staying cool or pleasing parents, we just want to be liked.
We place value on our image above everything else, and all too often overlook political and moral issues in order to stay with the crowd. 
I am just as guilty as anyone, and need this reminder to keep myself honest. I just wish that we, the younger generation, would let go of this fear and truly use our minds.
The hippies of the ’60s may have been crazy, but at least they didn’t sit around and let fear stop them from thinking on their own.
If you can honestly account for your vote, then more power to you. If you cannot, then I implore you to reject idleness and think.
And since I told you that I’m guilty of this, what it shows me more than anything is the thing I’m most scared of – myself.