Bulldog Bash brings charity opportunity to Starkville

Bulldog Bash attracts an estimated 35,000 visitors to Starkville each fall. During this time, locals and visitors are able to participate in the Mississippi State University Dawg Rally, the family oriented Fan Fare, a home football game and free live concert hosted in the Historic Cotton District.
What many do not know about Bulldog Bash is the charitable work the event brings to Starkville and MSU. Each year, Bulldog Bash manages to work with local organizations in order to raise funds for various charities.
In 2009, Bulldog Bash and the Student Association worked to raise money for The United Way of North Central Mississippi. Through physical and mobile fund-raising, over $7,000 was raised for the United Way.
This year, Bulldog Bash is fundraising for the MSU Student Relief Fund. The Dean of Students’ Office, athletic department, SA and the MSU Foundation work to transfer 100 percent of the donations to MSU students in need.
According to the MSU Foundation website, the relief fund is set up to help those students in need.
“An MSU Student Relief Fund is now in place to assist students who are affected with day-to-day crises, or catastrophic disasters which may impact the university over time,” the website states.
In 2005, the fund was established to aid MSU students devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Two years ago the fund was used to benefit students affected by the Smithville and Tuscaloosa tornadoes. Currently, the fund is used to aid local Starkville students and their families in times of tragedy.
Spencer Pipitone, a junior majoring in marketing and a current Foundation Ambassador, said the Foundation stays busy to raise money for the fund.
“Bulldog Bash is a great opportunity to give back directly to the students of this campus. The Foundation works hard to assure that money gets back to students,” he said.
Students are able to apply for the funds through the Dean of Students’ Office. Funds are distributed based on need and also distributed through the office.