Soccer coach dismissed from team

Athletic Director Scott Stricklin announced Tuesday former soccer coach Neil MacDonald had been dismissed from his position.
MacDonald will be re-assigned within the Mississippi State Athletic Department until June 30, the date his contraction is concluded.
In a news release, Stricklin said MacDonald was a tireless worker and gave the soccer program everything he had while he was on staff.
“We appreciate the nine years Neil has given Mississippi State as head of our soccer program,” Stricklin said. “We just felt a change in leadership was needed to guide our program to the ultimate goal we have for all of our student-athletes – to win consistently in the Southeastern Conference and compete for championships.”
In his nine seasons as head coach, MacDonald was 58-103-14, and the team finished 9-10-1 this season (2-10-1 in SEC play).
MacDonald came to MSU in 2003 and was an assistant coach before taking over the reigns in 2004.
According to The Dispatch, Stricklin, along with MSU Executive Associate Athletic Director Duncan McKenzie and senior associate athletic director in charge of women’s sports Ann Carr, will begin the search for a new coach immediately.
MacDonald and players were unavailable for further comments.