Students should be healthy

Students’ schedules can get busy quickly as exam crunch time approaches, but taking the time to choose healthy snack options can potentially help students maintain body weight and shape.
Mandy Conrad, registered dietitian at the Longest Student Health Center, has some healthy tips for busy college students.
“Students should keep in mind what that snack is going to do for them. Think: is it a meal or is it supposed to only last a few hours? Don’t try to live off 100-calorie snacks all through the day. You need a meal,” Conrad said.
She also said healthy items to look for are complex carbohydrates and proteins. These keep people fuller for longer, regulate consistency and help individuals think more clearly for the next food choice.
“Trail mix is a good snack that can include popcorn and pretzels, and then throw in nuts and dried fruits, so you are getting nutrients,” Conrad said.
She suggested sugar-free Jell-O puddings as a good idea for dipping fruit into like strawberries in chocolate pudding and apples in vanilla pudding. Another alternative to unhealthy snacking is low-fat Greek yogurt that can be personally flavored by adding cinnamon, vanilla or a Crystal Light packet.
“Students should stay away from things that provide lots of calories but no nutrients.  Sugary drinks and snacks fall into this category. Instead, search for foods that offer proteins, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that your body needs,” Conrad said.
Exercise is also an issue when it comes to healthy lifestyles. Conrad said not to let the high-recommended amount scare students out of exercising at all.
“At least shoot for three days a week, the recommended amount is five, but don’t let this intimidate you. Do what you can,” Conrad said.
Conrad said the health benefits of exercising and eating healthy are vital to young adults’ futures. She also said some common health concerns include heart disease, type II diabetes and high blood pressure.
“Eating healthy gives students more energy, decreases irritability and exercising can be a form of stress release. This helps them feel better so that individuals can do what they enjoy,” Conrad said.
The Student Dietetic Association at Mississippi State University is an organization that promotes healthy lifestyles on campus and in the surrounding communities through awareness and involvement. Membership is available for any student with an interest in nutrition, food science, health promotion or culinary studies.
Lauren Manuel, junior nutrition major and SDA president, said a few healthy snack options to keep in mind are baby carrots, peanut butter, hummus, grapes and low fat cheese.
“Don’t deprive yourself of your favorites, but never reward yourself with food,” Manuel said.
Shelly Johnston, junior nutrition major, said she is familiar with the struggles of healthy eating for college students.
“Especially in college, young adults should watch out for sweets. In the nutrition world, they are called SoFAS. This stands for solids, fats and added sugars,” she said.
Students do not have to be food gurus to eat healthy, but a smart snack choice can soon lead to a healthier lifestyle.