Election presents economic decision

Penned by Bob Dylan in 1964, the iconic words “the times they are a-changing'” still holds true for the millennial generation nearly 50 years later.
An emerging voter profile for the millennial generation was spotlighted in a special report in The New York Times in August. The report stated young voters have recently been falling fiscally conservative in their views, while still holding a liberal mindset on social issues. 
Political science professor, Rob Mellen discussed his thoughts on the changes in voter profile held by this year’s voters.
“Ron Paul has been making a concerted effort to attract younger people into his more libertarian approach to American politics, focusing on fiscal issues more than the social issues,” Mellen said.
Mellen said, as a whole, social issues tend to have a divisive effect upon politics, while the American political system holds fiscally conservative, though they may define their fiscal policies differently.
Democrats typically tend to approach tax levels at a percentage that will pay for their programs, while Republicans want the lowest tax rate possible.
Mellen said young voters are attracted to the mindset held by Ron Paul because he throws social issues out the window and says let the states decide.
“I think that is appealing to the younger generations that do not share the ties to the culture wars that their parents have gone through in the 1960s to the 1980s, and they are tired of all the bickering that goes along with that,” Mellen stated.
As far as a fiscal election, Mellen said he felt there is a lot of confusion about the U.S. economy and how it entered into its current state.
He said the economy has been rapidly changing for a dozen years now, and the anemic job growth currently afflicting the United States can be seen as far back as George W. Bush’s first administration.
“There is not a magic bullet for economic growth. There is no magical tax rate you can have that is suddenly going to create 5 percent growth,” Mellen said.
As far as a split fiscal and social mindset in voters, Mellen said the Democrats will always want to make social issues front in center, while the Republicans hold a strong position on fiscal issues.
Mellen stated historically, there has been issue ownership amongst the two parties, and in the beginning of this campaign season, there was a great amount of flip flop-ping between the candidates.
“I think the reason we’ve seen so much more social issues is this campaign is because the president wants to deflect discussion from the economy because he does not do well in that area,” Mellen said.
He said regardless of facts, the discussion will not support Obama when concerning debates on the economy.
Mellen also said it is imperative that young Americans get out and vote, and  let their voice be heard.
“A well-educated and well-informed electorate is essential to a democracy. Democracy cannot thrive, and it cannot survive with an apathetic and disinterested citizenry,” Mellen said.