Attitudes on awards season

To many, awards season is comparable to the holiday season: the Golden Globes proving to be much like the Thanksgiving holiday with its rather nostalgic quality of old friends mixed with a slightly obscene amount of alcohol and the occasional explicit word thrown about. It seems the main purpose of the Globes is simply to get the trashiness out of the way to allow for the more classy holiday of the one and only Oscar night. 
This year, Billy Crystal will be hosting the Oscars for his ninth time at the classic Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, Calif. Hosting the Oscars is a privilege and honor in itself with a lineup of past hosts including Frank Sinatra, Steve Martin, Johnny Carson, Jane Fonda, Chevy Chase, Bob Hope and the list continues with comedians exemplifying not only talent but also that age-old characteristic of class.
From the star-studded red carpet, glamorous gowns and red soles of Christian Louis Vuittons to the talent-packed room full of newcomers and established actors alike, the Oscars has a flair of class, respect and prestige that no other award show has ever been able to establish. 
Each year the Academy, consisting of 5,783 voters as of 2012, nominates the actors, directors, writers, performers and talent in motion pictures who have achieved in their opinion the august standard of which the Academy requires to be nominated and shown respect for excellence in the arts. 
One of the main objections raised about the Oscars is the fact that the nominations occasionally do not match the opinions of the public.
Leslie Smith, freshman communication major, shared her disdain with the Academy’s choices in its nominations this year.
“I usually like some of the film nominations the Academy chooses, but this year’s nominations seem a little off kilter,” she said. “Comedy movies often seem to be thrown under the bus for some sort of drama just because of the controversy it entails. It just seems like a weak year for the Oscars.”
Although some people disagree with the Academy’s nominations, others think the nominations are right on point. With the new territory of revisiting the area of silent films on the ballot, along with the tear-jerking dramas and the new wave of animation, there is no way to predict who might walk away with the Oscar on Feb. 26.
While some enjoy the Oscars for the awards and witty jokes made by the host and award presenters, others simply love the Oscars for the gowns and fashion displayed on the world-famous “red carpet.” One of the viewers who watches the Oscars simply to see what the rich and famous will be wearing is Amanda Harden, former marketing major and former intern for the designer Oscar de la Renta.
“Awards season is not only a time to recognize some of the most distinguished for their accomplishments, but also a time to see a plethora of beautiful ensembles, and the Oscars never disappoint,” she said. “It’s one of my favorite award shows for a less-noted reason in that the gowns are always spectacular. The Oscar red carpet brings in the best of the best celebrities and designers which, I must admit, leaves me more entertained than the actual award show itself.”
Strohm Gaston, senior marketing major, said she loves the Oscars for the opportunity to judge the actors’ acceptance speeches, see the glamorous gowns and tuxedos and, of course, admire the talent that is respected by the Academy.
“Besides Christmas, awards season is my favorite time of the year. It doesn’t matter if you won at the SAG awards or the Golden Globes. Ultimately, it’s the Oscar win that matters most,” she said. “Everything is on a grander scale. It plays host to all of the A-list celebrities, best pre and after parties, and, of course, the best gowns. It’s true, even with awards season, you save the best for last.”

OSCAR SHOCKERS

Not Nominated
• Bridesmaids
• The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
• The Iron Lady
• My Week With Marilyn
• The Ides of March
• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Nominated for Best Picture
•Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
•War Horse
•The Tree of Life