Faculty Senate discusses construction

The Robert Holland Faculty Senate meeting on Friday addressed a number of issues future construction concerns.
One of the main topics discussed was the new classroom building, which will be built behind the YMCA Building and will be five stories tall.  The first two stories will be parking, while the remaining three stories will be classrooms.  There will also be a shuttle loop in front of the building to provide students with easy access to the building.
Meghan Millea, faculty senate president, discussed this matter in her report. While the planning for this classroom building is still in the early stages, she said it is vital for the classroom building to be suitable for the students and staff.
“Right now the classroom building committee is mainly concerned with the floor plan of the building,” Millea said. 
She also said there will be study space in the building, as well.
“The committee is also discussing the overall look of the building … Plans for the building have been passed along to the provost for consideration,” she said.
There was also the proposal to have an app for myCourses. Millea said although this app will not provide all the functions of myCourses, it would have the main functions students may need on-the-go. 
“This would help students be able to check grades and mail through myCourses more easily,” she said. “While there is not a definite date on when the app will be released, our goal is to have this app up and running by the end of this semester.”
Another topic mentioned in the meeting was the new proposal for a single email system throughout MSU. This would eliminate the multiple types of email faculty and students use. As of now, the current email systems are Bullymail, GroupWise and mail through myCourses.
Jerry Gilbert, provost and executive vice president, brought this idea to the faculty senate table. He said although this is in the early stages of planning, this could be very beneficial for students and faculty.
“Having the several types of email providers can be confusing for students and faculty,” Gilbert said. 
He also said there are a few email providers MSU officials are looking at as potential candidates for the new single email system.
“Right now a few of the providers being looked at are Gmail, Microsoft, Zumba and Apple Exchange. We are considering Groupwise, although it is not one of the top candidates,” he said.
Gilbert also discussed the Aiken Village proposal. The committee over this is currently discussing what kind of housing will be provided in Aiken Village.
“The current proposal is that it would house grad students, married couples of MSU and our international students,” he said. “The bid for the project has been delayed, but we hope to have the new housing up and running come fall 2014.”
Another discussion item was international studies. MSU has many international students that come to study at MSU through foreign exchange programs. MSU also has students who like to participate in study abroad programs.
William “Benjy” Mikel, associate vice president and executive director of the International Institute, was a guest speaker about international studies. He said his office has reinstituted the shuttle system from the GTR airport to the MSU campus for foreign exchange students.
“We want these students to be welcomed to not only our country but our campus and community,” Mikel said.
He also discussed proposals currently in the works for study abroad programs.
“We are currently looking to increase scholarships for students who study abroad,” Mikel said.
Other matters included the renovation of Lee Hall, which is expected to begin July 1. Also, Pi Kappa Phi fraternity recently bought the Alpha Gamma Rho house.  The exterior of the house will be transformed to a more traditional appearance. The athletic committee also approved plans for the closing in of the north side of Davis Wade Stadium.