Making Valentine’s Day bearable, memorable

The celebration of Valentine’s Day is centuries old and is inspired by St. Valentine of Rome. Valentine was a bishop under Roman Emperor Claudius II.
Claudius outlawed young men to marry due to his belief that unmarried men made better soldiers. Valentine, however, performed secret marriages for the young men. He was soon discovered and sent to jail.
There, he fell in love with the jailor’s daughter. Just before Valentine’s death, he sent a note to his lover signed “from your Valentine.” The tale spread and soon enough Valentine was recognized as the patron saint of affianced and engaged couples, happy marriages, love and lovers and was celebrated at festivals held on Feb. 14 each year where Romans distributed cards of affection signed from “your valentine,” according to history.com. 
Although Valentine’s Day (called Singles Awareness Day by some) is the celebrated day of exchanging candies, flowers and greeting cards, some lose sight of the fun in Valentine’s Day, especially those who do not exactly have a Valentine with whom to share the day. Whether you are single or in a relationship, there are several ways to keep Valentine’s Day fun.
For those who do not have a special someone to share this holiday with, try and use the day as an excuse to show yourself some well-deserved loving. Treat yourself to something that you have been wanting and splurge on a little. Valentine’s is the perfect excuse to book a massage or have a spa day. Relax and have some alone time. If relaxing is not particularly your style, go out and get some retail therapy.
“Go ahead and buy that piece of jewelry you have been eyeing for weeks or those expensive chocolates that you can only enjoy one time a year,” hubpages.com said.
 If there is nothing you want to buy for yourself, maybe try gifting something to a family member or a close friend to show your love for them. Try to let someone else know that you are thinking about them. Valentine’s Day is not just for couples but as for those who want to show their love for one another and those they care about.
“I think the best way to enjoy Valentine’s Day when you are single is to surround yourself with your friends who are in the same boat as you are and do something fun or adventurous to keep your mind off of the romantic side of the day,” Casey Fekete, sophomore animal and dairy science major, said.
Another option for all the single ladies (or single fellas) is to go out and have fun with a group of friends. Use a dinner party, whether out to eat or at home, to enjoy everyone’s company and some good food. Pick a fun activity to do together; go bowling, skating or somewhere with entertainment to keep a light mood and have a good time.
“Sure, you will most likely be surrounded by couples holding hands and staring deeply into each other’s eyes, but when you’re with your friends you are having more fun anyways,” hubpages.com said.
Couples, too, can easily get carried away and lose the enjoyment of this holiday. Try to keep an open mind about trying something new. Plan an activity that the two of you would not necessarily think to do.
Jake Johnson, architecture major, has been dating his girlfriend for over a year and looks forward to changing up the Valentine’s Day agenda.
“I strive to plan something out of the ordinary or the usual routine and do something that will be remembered and not lost in all the other dates that we have had,” Johnson said.
Explore options for a fun evening. Instead of eating at the nicest restaurant in town, prepare dinner together and enjoy cooking a meal on your own. Pick a setting to maybe have a picnic or dessert. We all know the latest romantic comedy in theaters will be packed with couples (and wishful singles), so have a movie night in or go out dancing. Do something that requires the two of you to laugh and have a good time together.
As we celebrate this day filled with love and affection remember that flowers and chocolates are not everything. Enjoying your time with friends, family and those you care about are most fulfilling. Keep a fun-filled attitude and spread the love.