‘Casual’ fandom OK for students

As I open my closet, one color appears dominate: maroon.
Through the years I have built up quite the arsenal of Mississippi State University threads. A “True Maroon” shirt here, a “white out” polo there, even a few sorority shirts that I like to wear with leggings at the Sanderson. 
I describe my wardrobe to you not to make you jealous (this is already a given), but as evidence that I am proud of the school I go to, so delighted that I wear these spirit items like Hillary Clinton wears pantsuits — often and with lots of room for my curves. Sure, I can wear other things, but I find myself reaching for a maroon item often just because it feels right.
I have school spirit. At least, I think I do.
Over the past few school years much has been made about game day atmosphere and even the lack of student participation. Articles are being published online with tips on how to cheer and some have taken it upon themselves to be ambassadors of spirit, wearing referee uniforms and sporting over-sized signs of players’ faces.
While you must be commended for your dedication (and apparent surplus of time), I must be honest: I am not, nor will I ever be, one of “those” people.
I love my university, but I do not feel like I need to show it by screaming in the camera and holding my index finger in the air. I do keep my pinky up when drinking; I was not raised in a barn.
You see, I am a casual fan. The type of fan that will attend when there is time to do so but whose mood is not determined by the most recent outcome in a contest.
So can we all agree that my laid-back approach to cheering is just as okay as your spastic one?
If you are currently shaking your head and pursing your lips at my apathy, I advise that you desist. People are probably staring at you with MSU police on speed dial; don’t become another statistic.
To my loyal reader base (my nana), I want to proclaim three stances which will make me undoubtedly unpopular on the north side of campus. I graduate in May, so I have nothing to lose:
1) It’s okay to sit.
Blame it on the laziness of our generation, but I will never see the need to spend hours on my feet. The players can hear me ring my bell or yell just as well whether I am standing or on my fabulous fanny.
Did you know stadiums have stadium seating? This enables people to see the field or court regardless of where they sit due to the tier-Feng Shui they have going on. The only time this is thrown off is when the person in front of you stands.
Also, feel free to disregard the guy who screams “stand up” every five minutes while using his arms in a motion only Richard Simmons on Jane Fonda typically use. He most likely practices this in front of his mirror every night while secretly hoping the coach invites him to play. 
2) Leaving early is not the end of the world.
While much has been made about MSU students exiting the stands prematurely, no one has ever questioned the motives behind the exodus. Could there be more to it than just a whole bunch of fair-weather fans who get upset when our teams fall on hard times?
Perhaps these people have things to do which are *gasp* more important than athletics.
Having to leave early, while not ideal, does not deserve heckling or the bad wrap it often gets. Yes, some of those who leave are really not fans in the first place, but we do have lives outside of the Hump or Davis Wade, and there is nothing wrong with that.
This brings me to my final point:
3) Sports are, well sports…
I get it; MSU makes millions annually thanks to athletics, and I have many fond memories at bowl games and in Left Field Lounge, but let’s not forget that just as much talent can be found in the classrooms, offices and laboratories as in the locker rooms.
Just this past week the university manifested its own live television show honoring those who signed with the football team. I give props to those who created the event, but what if we put 10 percent of this energy into showcasing gifted scholars who chose MSU?
Sports bring unity and raise the school brand in ways academic achievements typically cannot, but we must remember without the education component we would not have a reason to gather on Saturday afternoons.
This university is arguably in the most sports-centered conference in the nation, one where we take great pride by how our student athletes perform; I love that.
But we must never lose sight of all the things that make this school great: its history, people and atmosphere. For there is nothing wrong with enjoying sports, but understand there is so much more to appreciate at MSU. If we can find that balance, then perhaps I will stand up and cheer.