Employee relationship policy changes

Mississippi State University is in the process of implementing a new operating code in the coming months that would outline how amorous relationships between employees are handled.
Eddie Keith, associate dean of students, said via email that while MSU already has policies regarding nepotism, sexual harassment and general employee conduct, there is no existing policy on amorous relationships between faculty or staff and students and supervisors and supervisees.
“I understand that some colleges and universities have such a policy,” Keith said.  “Obviously the concern stems from problems which could develop in unequal relationships (such as) when one party has the power to hold something (such as pay, evaluation, grades, etc.) over another.”
Judy Spencer, human resources management director, said since MSU currently does not have a policy on amorous relationships, the draft of the policy is a good move for MSU because it offers guidelines to avoid any potential conflicts of interest.
“We want to get ahead of any problems,” she said. “Sometimes you need a policy to maintain smooth operations.”
Spencer said one of the motives behind the draft is to make sure each party involved in such a relationship understands he or she is responsible for handling the appearance of the relationship in the correct way. The draft focuses on ensuring involved parties understand they should take steps to remove a conflict of interest or any appearance that may suggest the relationship could become problematic.
“Normal rules would be applied (if the policy is violated) just like any of our policies,” she said.
Spencer said the draft will be vetted by the constituency of faculty, staff and students. MSU has a policy that concerns the correct procedure to create a policy. The proposed policy goes through various levels of review and discussion, according to MSU’s operating policy and procedure system.
Meghan Millea, faculty senate president, said the policy must be reviewed by the executive committee, then internal audit and general counsel before it goes into effect. The policy could possibly be in place within the next two months.
“It’s appropriate for us to have a policy like this, and we just haven’t,” she said. “It’s common for universities. It lays out how people should interact with each other.”
Millea said MSU has two different types of policies, academic operating policies and operating policies. The latter is the mechanics of MSU and has to go through a different vetting process than policies regarding academics.
“It’s a pretty strong policy,” she said. “It will make sure power differentials are not a problem.”
Millea said she agreed with Spencer that one of the main things about this proposed policy is that the appearance of a relationship is proper.