On-campus visitors get maroon carpet treatment from trained student guides

The Maroon Visitor Information Program, a volunteer tour organization through the Mississippi State University Welcome Center, has begun its spring recruitment. 
According to the Maroon VIP website, “The group, comprised of MSU students, welcomes visitors to Mississippi State, offering information about the university, providing guided tours of campus and assisting with any special requests or needs that guests may have.”
Maroon VIP is going into its ninth semester and has sparked interest from several students over time. The members work with not only the visitor’s center but also the President’s office and any other office that may need their assistance.
After students are selected to join, new members take a one-hour seminar class in the fall following their acceptance.  The class helps the students get a better understanding of the school’s history and other things that involve MSU. 
Students that are selected are also required to give three tours a semester and help with other organizations on campus. They also may have to work at the welcome center desk. 
Ray Purnell, graduate student in industrial and systems engineering, is the current president of Maroon VIP.  He said he has been a member of Maroon VIP for two and a half years.  He learned about Maroon VIP through a friend and became interested in joining. 
“Maroon VIP is … great for networking and learning more about the university,” Purnell said. 
He said the program is not just looking for outgoing individuals, and students interested need to realize what Maroon VIP expects. 
“We do not want someone that is just good with crowds,” Purnell said. “While that is a great characteristic to have, we also need someone that has a bit of character. They need to be responsible, they must be willing to learn a lot about the university.  If you think you know about the university, you do not until you are in the Maroon VIP.   You learn so much about the university and its history through Maroon VIP.” 
He said the program has been a big service to visitors on MSU’s campus. 
“One thing that tour guests like about Maroon VIP is the treatment that they are given while they are here,” Purnell said. 
Maroon VIP is sometimes mistaken to be  part of MSU Roadrunners. Maroon VIP works with non-prospective students and any other kind of group that wants a tour of the campus. 
Tabitha Sheffield, senior English major, is currently on the chair of recruitment for Maroon VIP. 
Sheffield said she has been a member since Maroon VIP was created in Spring 2008. 
“Ever since I joined the Maroon VIP, it has continued to grow,” she said. 
Sheffield also said being part of Maroon VIP has been a positive experience.
“Being able to learn more about my school (is most rewarding),” she said. “Also, being able to impact peoples lives that come for tours. It is very exciting to get to meet students that may one day be Bulldogs.”
Joey Frost, sophomore political science major, said he has been a member of Maroon VIP for one year.
“I was just looking for a way to get involved on campus,” he said. “I really like getting to meet all kinds of different people and show them some of the best that State has to offer.”
Frost said students who are involved with Maroon VIP can still participate in other campus clubs.
“As long as you put forth effort to attend everything and do your part, they understand that you are a part of other organizations as most students on Maroon VIP are a part of other organizations on campus,” Frost said. 
Maroon VIP is currently doing spring recruitment.  Maroon VIP is open for any student that is looking to apply and serve MSU. 
The application deadline is Friday by 5 p.m.  There is also a $5 application fee. 
Applications can be found online or students can pick up an application from the welcome center. 
After all of the applications are looked through, students will go through the interview process.