Socially-conscious shopping available in Starkville stores

Although the latest trends in fashion may be comfy tees and bangles, what seems to be the most trendy is simply the act of giving back. This growing trend is seen on every scale with products ranging from apparel, home products and jewelry. Boutiques are rapidly catching on to the idea of selling products which support or promote a cause.
Several Starkville boutiques are offering products that contribute to this trend of carrying charitable items. Reed’s, Harmonie Boutique, Deep South Pout, L.A. Green and the Purple Elephant sell several charitable items that support a cause.
L.A. Green partners with Holt International, supporting special needs orphans. A portion of all sales are donated to this organization to help an orphan with special needs and assist them in finding a family.
Deep South Pout carries unique shirts that support a program called Restoration Hope. All of the proceeds go to this non-profit organization which supports villages in Africa to provide medicine, education and basic necessities. In addition, Deep South Pout sends a certain percentage of its total sales and profits to the organization.
Harmonie Boutique is involved with several organizations and programs both local and international. Live FashionABLE is an organization geared toward empowering women in Ethiopia. The program provides jobs for women to bring themselves out of poverty. Each scarf is named after the woman that designed and made the scarf and includes a handwritten note from that woman. A second organization represented by Harmonie Boutique is PeaceCord, which manufactures bracelets made from military parachute cords and authentic military uniform buttons. The bracelets are handwoven by women in Afghanistan to not only support the troops overseas but also to empower women. Other charitable products sold are jewelry by Village of Hope Uganda and Ember Arts, apparel by Out of Print Clothing supporting literacy and Nashville-based Thistle Farms, which supports women who have survived addiction, abuse and human trafficking.
The Purple Elephant supports a cause close to the owner’s heart. A jewelry designer by the name of Renaldo specially designed a unique bracelet for the owner’s daughter, Waverly, who was diagnosed with spina bifida. Profits from each bracelet sold are donated to aid spina bifida research and relief.
Reed’s carries two major brands that give back. The well-known Toms brand is a “one-for-one”  program which when a pair of Toms shoes is purchased, Toms donates a pair to a child in need; those children who do not have the privilege of wearing shoes day to day. A second brand called Agape North is sold as well. Agape North is a brand based out of Memphis, that sells apparel and hats. For each shirt sold, Agape North donates a school uniform to a child in Latin America to aid in their education.
It is easy to make a difference by visiting one of these local boutiques that strive to support charities and non-profit organizations. For more information, visit these stores’ websites at lagreenjewelry.com, deepsouthpout.com, reedsms.com, facebook.com/pages/thepurpleelephant, and facebook.com/harmonieboutique. Although the latest trends in fashion may be comfy tees and bangles, what seems to be the most trendy is simply the act of giving back. This growing trend is seen on every scale with products ranging from apparel, home products and jewelry. Boutiques are rapidly catching on to the idea of selling products which support or promote a cause.
It is easy to make a difference by visiting one of these local boutiques that strive to support charities and non-profit organizations. For more information, visit these stores’ websites at lagreenjewelry.com, deepsouthpout.com, reedsms.com, facebook.com/pages/thepurpleelephant, and facebook.com/harmonieboutique.