Resources exist for students on the job hunt

Finding a job while being a student in Starkville may seem overwhelming at first glance, especially considering the number of students to compete with, but there are many places to look and plenty of people willing to help.
One of the many things the Career Center on campus does is to aid students seeking part-time jobs. Scott Maynard, the director of the Career Center, described the center as one of the means for students to find jobs on and off campus.
One of the ways the Career Center can help is through its “Connections” page, where students are able to filter through job postings.
“The jobs can be anything from shipping clerks at the UPS to sales staff at Newks,” Maynard said. “Departments can range from student jobs to research assistants or even dining services.”
The Career Center also offers help by offering tips on finding jobs, helping put together resumes and even conducting mock interviews to help prepare students better for trying to get the job they want.
“Any student can be successful in finding a part-time position,” Maynard said. “But they have to be persistent in continuing to look where opportunities are.”
For students who are just now seeking jobs for this semester, Maynard said, the best thing to do for finding a job would be to talk to friends that are working to find out if there are any available positions where they are employed. Another option is for students to check with their affiliated department for any open positions.
“A lot of the individual departments just advertise on their own, or just fill their needs on their own from word of mouth,” he said.
Maynard also suggested checking with the largest employers on campus, which includes dining services, the Sanderson Center, the library and athletics department for any available positions.
He said off campus, students should keep an eye for new businesses opening throughout town.
“The city is still growing and adding new businesses constantly,” Maynard said. “As they open, there’s always a flurry of job openings.”
Once a student has found a position they would like to apply for, one of the most important things they need to remember is to wear proper attire and to have their resumes prepared.
“While they may not necessarily need to be in a coat and tie, they certainly need to be dressed nicely and well-groomed,” Maynard said. “They need to be prepared, with their resume ready, and know what their class schedule is, along with having their available work times printed on the resume.”
For students planning on getting a job next semester, do not wait until the semester starts to go job hunting. Now is the time to start looking.
“If you think you want a part-time job next fall, begin talking to graduating seniors that you know that are working on campus for a recommendation to their current employer so that you can go ahead and interview now for a position that will start next fall,” Maynard said.
Alhough the thought of getting any job is important, one thing students need to consider is trying to find one that fits with their major.
“It’s important for students to gain experience in their field of study prior to graduation,” Maynard said. “It not only helps supplement your income while you’re in school, but it’s also giving you practical experience that’s going on your resume for when you graduate and start seeking a full-time position somewhere.”