Wednesday night letter-writing to benefit St. Jude’s

On Wednesday, in Colvard Student Union Ballroom, Mississippi State University students will be given the opportunity to contribute to the fight against childhood cancer by taking part in a letter-writing event sponsored by St. Jude’s Up ‘til Dawn program.
Jefflyn Wallace, executive director of the Up ’til Dawn committee, said this organization is a great way for the campus to come together for a good cause.
 ”If we can come together for a football game, we can come together for Up ’til Dawn and St. Jude’s,” she said.
Wallace said Up ’til Dawn is a national organization that was created 11 years ago.
The name of this organization is meant to be a reminder to people that the children of St. Jude’s, along with their parents, spend many sleepless nights while receiving health care at the hospital.
This organization calls for college campuses across America to unite to fight childhood cancer.
 The primary goal of Up ’til Dawn is to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
The funds that are raised are spent on pediatric health care, medication, surgeries and housing for the families of those children who are receiving care at the hospital.
No patients are turned away at St. Jude’s, regardless of their financial issues. Because of this, St. Jude’s requires the help of organizations such as Up ’til Dawn to support the children in their endeavors.
Although the organization has existed for 11 years, 2012 will mark the third year of its incorporation into MSU’s philanthropic events.
Maxie Wilson, senior biochemistry major, said she attended last year and has high hopes this year will provide an even more successful turnout.
“It’s our third year, so we’re trying to spread the word. Our main struggle is people now knowing exactly what it is. We want to spread it campus wide,” she said.
Wilson said in its first year, MSU raised $9,000 for this cause and $11,000 the following year. The goal for 2012 is $15,000.
The primary fundraising tool at MSU is a letter-writing event.
On Wednesday, from 6:30 to 9 p.m., students and faculty are welcome to gather in the Union ballroom to address pre-written letters to anyone of their choice, informing them of this cause and kindly asking for their donations.
St. Jude earns a return of $28 per letter sent. It is not necessary to form a team to come to this event; everyone is welcome.
Kallye Baggett, public relations chair of Up ’til Dawn, said she attended the event last year and it encouraged her to become more involved.
“I was really impressed with the finale last year and wanted to get involved and do my part,” she said
At a later date, which has yet to be announced, there will be a finale ceremony in which the amount raised will be revealed.
This ceremony will be a celebration complete with entertainment, games and a raffle for a football signed by MSU head football coach Dan Mullen.