Bulldogs sweep weekend games over Kansas, MVSU

The Mississippi State baseball team swept its weekend tournament to improve to 6-1 on the season.
In the weekend finale MSU completed the sweep as they defeated MVSU 5-1. Daryl Norris began the scoring with a two-RBI single in the first inning to take an early lead. The Delta Devils plated a run in the third before the Dogs extended their lead in the sixth on Adam Frazier’s RBI double.
C.T. Bradford and Wes Rea each collected an RBI single in the eighth to seal the victory for MSU. Freshman Will Cox earned his first win in his first collegiate appearance as he threw seven innings giving up one unearned run on three hits and fanned eight batters.
Head coach John Cohen said he was pleased with his team’s performance this weekend, especially from his pitching staff.
“We like our freshmen, and they have really developed,” Cohen said. “They also have some older guys that really help them get better. We have older guys on our pitching staff who are tremendous leaders and help the young guys get ready to pitch at this level.”
On Saturday, the Bulldogs returned to the diamond and swept a twin bill over Mississippi Valley State and Kansas. MSU began the doubleheader on an offensive surge as they collected 13 runs and 13 hits in a win over Mississippi Valley. The Delta Devils jumped out to an early 3-1 lead through three innings before the Diamond Dogs responded with a rally. Brent Brownlee and Mitch Slauter each collected RBI hits to highlight a five-run fourth inning to give MSU its first lead of the game.
Bradford and Rea also ripped two RBI hits each to cap a seven-run fifth inning to extend the MSU lead to 13-3. Two runs in MVSU’s eighth inning set the 13-5 final.
Freshman Trevor Fitts earned his first win in his first appearance in maroon and white as he threw four innings, giving up two runs on five hits while striking out five in relief.
In the nightcap, the Dogs found themselves in a similar position after trailing 1-0 going into the seventh inning. With two runners on base Frazier began the rally with an RBI single, scoring Taylor Stark to tie the game. Two batters later Bradford reached on an error allowing Matthew Britton to score and give MSU the lead.
The Bulldogs added one more run in the eighth as Daryl Norris drove in Sam Frost on an RBI single to give MSU the 3-1 win. Cohen said he was pleased with the win and his team’s endurance.
“We’re playing against quality competition, and they know what it’s like to play in an environment like this,” Cohen said. “This is like Southeastern Conference baseball, and that’s what we want. That’s why we scheduled these guys.”
Freshman Jonathan Holder earned his first save of the season as he retired all six batters he faced in the final two innings while striking out two.
The Dogs began the weekend with a thrilling 1-0 victory against the Kansas Jayhawks on Friday night. In a game that saw just eight hits combined, it came down to the final at-bat for the Bulldogs to clinch the win.
Bradford drew a full count walk to open the bottom of the ninth inning before freshman Wes Rea ripped the first pitch in his at-bat to the left -field wall scoring Bradford from first base. Rea’s RBI hit was the first walk-off win for the Dogs this season.
“They thought I was bunting, so I expected a fast ball,” Rea said. “I just shortened my stroke and made an adjustment. Even though I walked it off, they gave me grief for it not going over the fence.”
Ben Bracewell started on the mound for MSU allowing just two hits in three innings. Out of the bullpen, Chris Stratton earned the win as he threw six innings allowing just one hit and struck out eight batters.
The Dogs seek to carry their momentum into Wednesday as they play Memphis at 4 p.m. at Dudy Noble Field before hosting Lipscomb and Connecticut this weekend.