Votes for platforms, not affiliations vital

Student Association elections bring out a lot of discussion on campus about voting, the fair representation of the student body and the question of what SA actually does. There is a lot of debate on campus about whether voting in SA elections is even important; some people pass out stickers and wear T-shirts on the Drill Field promoting candidates while others mutter that the elections are merely a Greek-fueled popularity contest. So which group of students is correct?
The truth of the matter is, SA officers do matter. SA serves as a liaison between the faculty and students and have successfully executed accomplishments such as Bully Bikes, BullyMail, Tents for Tickets and Cowbell Yell. Since SA has the power to implement important programs that directly affect the student body, it is important to elect officers based on their platforms, not the stickers passed out and shoved into your hand in between classes.
But how much does the average voter really know about the candidates’ platforms? One of the criticisms of SA elections is that voters don’t really know what each candidate wants to achieve while in office. Not only that, but many students on campus don’t even know what SA does. Regardless of this, every year, candidates vow to increase the “transparency” of  SA; they want the students to know what SA works so hard on every year. But, every year, confusion returns because the students are still ignorant of what SA does. Every single student is technically a member of SA, and SA wants to represent fairly the student body.
The elections undoubtedly have the unfair aspect of being a popularity contest. Many voters are uninformed and vote for whichever candidate is affiliated with the same club, fraternity or sorority. Perhaps the central platforms of the candidates could be displayed on the voting screen as students vote, and it would serve well for students to remember that we need diligent, creative and bright individuals heading our SA. Additionally, SA cannot force non-Greeks to run. Some complain the candidates are all Greek, which does not accurately reflect the demographics of the student body, but SA does not have control over who runs. If the non-Greeks want to be heard, someone who is not Greek should run, and not everyone who runs is Greek. Greek students should also be reminded they should vote for whoever’s platform with which they agree, not just their Greek brother or sister.
Although there are inevitable flaws in the voting system, Mississippi State University students should remember we are voting for the voice of our school. Each vote holds the same amount of potency, so use your vote wisely and remember we are choosing those who will mold MSU into a better and safer institution.
The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Wendy Morell, news editor Micah Green, news editor Megan McKeown, sports editor James Carskadon, life editor Kaitlin Mullins, photo editor Jay Johnson, copy editors Kaitlyn Byrne and Mollie C. Reeves, multimedia editor Eric Evans, chief designer Zack Orsborn, managing editor Julia Pendley and Editor in Chief Hannah Rogers.