African Children’s Choir to perform

Mississippi State University will host the African Children’s Choir tonight at 7 p.m. in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium in conjunction with the start of Black History Month.
Bréa Roth, program coordinator for Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said the choir is made up of children from several different countries in Africa who have lost either one or both parents. The choir, which consists of 17 children, seeks to break the cycle of poverty in these children’s lives.
“We are really excited about the program,” Roth said. “It brings more awareness to what’s going on around us in the world.”
The choir will also be on campus prior to its performance to play soccer with MSU’s women’s soccer and men’s club soccer teams from 12:45 to 2 p.m.
Roth said the children are adopted into the choir and home-schooled while traveling and performing. Coming from countries such as Ghana and Rwanda, the choir gives each child the opportunity to get an education and see the world at the same time.
“Their faces are filled with such joy. It’s a great reminder for students of how fortunate we are,” she said.
Roth said the children remain in the choir and are supported until they finish high school. The experience makes a lasting impact, as two of the choir’s chauffeurs were in the choir as children and came back after college to travel with them.
According to the African Children’s Choir website, the children selected for participation are usually between the ages of 7 and 11 and have attended Music for Life camp. Only 50 children are selected to audition, and, after auditions, the search is narrowed down.
After the final cut, the children who were chosen spend about five months training in Uganda, learning songs, dances and attending school and church. Selection into the choir means each child has long-term support in terms of education and counseling.
The event will take place at the beginning of Black History Month to raise awareness and encourage more people to honor the month-long observance.
Monique McGee, office associate for Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said students of all races should be aware of the month and what it means because it is history and so many African Americans lost their lives to get us where we are today.
“The observance of Black History Month has changed because I don’t think people are stressing the importance of this month like they should,” she said. “The only way children will know (how) African Americans paved a way for them is from others such as parents, other relatives and teachers educating them about it.”
McGee said she enjoys spreading awareness and knowledge with others to help make sure the history and significance are always honored.
“I usually give the children at my church information brochures about African Americans that made history, (such as) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth,” she said.
She added she participates in her church’s annual Black History Month play.
KaDarrius Goodwin, junior psychology major, said he agreed the month should be taken seriously and observed in the proper way.
“It’s very important for everybody, not just for African Americans, but Americans in general to learn where we started and to see how far we have come,” he said. “We have progressed. Black History Month is a way for us to look back on past movements that have contributed to today’s society.”
Goodwin, president of the Theta Iota chapter of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, said he will be reflecting on past historical figures throughout the month and how it was made it possible for students like him to be treated equally.
“I will also look forward and see what I can do for future generations,” he said.