Grace Potter and the Nocturnals visit Bettersworth Auditorium

Music Maker Productions brings Grace Potter and the Nocturnals to Mississippi State University’s Lee Hall today.
The Vermont-based band formed in 2002 and signed to Hollywood Records in 2005.  The five-piece configuration consists of lead singer and keyboard specialist Grace Potter, lead guitarist Scott Tournet, drummer Matt Burr joined by bassist Catherine Popper and guitarist Benny Yurco. Their third and most recent album, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, released in 2010, and the group announced an upcoming fourth album, The Lion The Beast The Beat, earlier this month. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals has won several awards and has opened for big-name talents, including Dave Matthews Band.
The up and coming band has had an iTunes No. 1 with “Paris” and peaked at No. 2 on the iTunes Rock Albums Chart. GPN plays over 200 shows a year at music festivals and venues around the nation. The group played at Coachella this past weekend and will be performing at the Beale Street Music Festival in May.
The band describes itself as a “modern-day version of Tina Turner,” with a unique and original sound. Band members explain on their website their inability to categorize themselves in a single genre.
“We realized we aren’t the kind of band that is ever gonna fit neatly in one genre. We just let the songs be the songs,” Potter said on its website.
GPN has released several popular singles including “Paris,” “Tiny Light,” “Oasis” and “Medicine.” The band’s deep-grooved rockers are powerful with lethal guitar and vocals that make it strong and distinct with a captivating sound.
Music Maker Production’s publicity executive and soon-to-be student director, Olivia Lunsford, describes GPN’s sound as soothing and intriguing.
“They are more rock with a mix of instrumental, vocals and rock. Really, her vocals stand out more than anything,” she said.
MMP say they are constantly looking for a variety of acts to bring in to MSU to please a wider range of musical tastes. MMP puts a lot of work into giving the students and community what they want to hear. MMP plans these events for weeks on end to provide several large concerts each year just for MSU.
“People will realize we care about putting on intimate shows, as well. We are always looking for variety and haven’t forgotten about those that want it. People ask for different kinds of music, and we are here to give it,” Lunsford said.
The show will begin at 8 tonight in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium. Tickets start at $20 for general admission and can be purchased at the door before the show.