MSU jiu-jitzu club earns medals at championship

Mississippi State University has been home to a Brazilian jiu-jitsu community, a style of self-defense which goes against the grain of popular karate culture since 2007.
According to the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Buddhist monks in India founded the style.
“Concerned with self-defense, these monks created techniques based upon principles of balance and leverage, and a system of manipulating the body in a manner where one can avoid relying upon strength and weapons,” its website said.
Basically, it is not like the style of fighting seen in karate movies, but is similar to styles such as mixed martial arts.
Nathan Armstrong, sophomore biochemistry and philosophy major, said Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a ground-based martial art because no striking is involved, but fighters use takedowns to bring their opponents to the ground.
“If you’ve ever watched mixed martial arts events like the UFC, many of the non-striking offensive techniques fighters use in the cage, like arm bars, triangle chokes, rear naked chokes and knee bars, are techniques derived from Brazilian jiu-jitsu,” he said.
Jiu-jitsu may appear violent, but the art focuses on self-defense.
“We train our students to be able to recognize and respond to threats against their persons by attackers,” Armstrong said.
Also, being a member of the jiu-jitsu club is about more than learning how to protect oneself.
Stephen Hensley, freshman aerospace engineering major, said it is incredibly fun and an amazing way to relieve stress after classes and homework.
“Overall, everyone – whether they love sports or love math – will love it,” he said.
The club also competes in tournaments around the South.
Jae McIntosh, senior kinesiology major and instructor, Jessica Dobbs, a recent graduate, and Armstrong competed in the Mississippi State Championships in Biloxi.
“I earned a silver medal in the absolute weight division, McIntosh earned silver medals in two divisions and Dobbs earned gold medals in two divisions,” Armstrong said.
The Brazilian jiu-jitsu club also competed in Nashville, Tenn., at the North American Grappling Association’s tournament in March. The club won six medals, two of which were gold.
“The club competes as often as possible, and so far we have been able to compete in about one tournament per semester,” Armstrong said.
Commonly called “the gentle art” by historians, jiu-jitsu has influenced MSU students and is increasing in popularity.
“We are a different kind of martial art than most people are used to,” Armstrong said. “We are very laid back. There is no bowing or sensei or really strict rules.”
The club meets Mondays and Wednesdays at 5 p.m. at the Starkville Tae Kwon Do building at 909B Lynn Lane.
“Just show up in whatever you would work out in, and you’re good to go,” Armstrong said.