Kardashians misunderstood, secretly awesome

For my last article as opinion editor, I wanted to write about something that matters. I wanted to write about something that is important to me. I wanted to write about something I believe in. Naturally, I arrived at the realization that I need to write in support of the Kardashian sisters. That’s right; I’m a senior honors college student who cannot get enough of the stylish, strong Kourtney, Kim and Khloe. And I know I’m not alone; there are those of you out there who sneak into your rooms at 9 every Sunday night and faithfully watch whatever Kardashian happens to be blessing the screen. So, let me defend my admiration for these ladies and dispel some misunderstandings I have heard.

The Kardashians are only famous because of Kim’s leaked home sex tape.
This is so, so wrong. Keeping Up with the Kardashians on E! actually premiered before Kim’s sex tape was leaked. Why did they get a show in the first place? Ryan Seacrest was a friend of the family and thought they were entertaining enough for reality TV But it’s not like this family just popped up out of nowhere. They were on the upper class social scene due to the legal success of the late Robert Kardashian (father of the girls and defense attorney for the O.J. Simpson trial) and the Olympic success of the former Kris Kardashian, now Kris Jenner’s, now-husband Bruce Jenner. (Remember? He won like a ton of Olympic medals?)
The sisters are famous for being famous and do nothing.
First of all, Kourtney, Kim and Khloe are absolutely gorgeous. Kourtney’s hilarious monotone comments and down-to-earth nature, Kim’s immaculate style and kindness and Khloe’s wit and sassy outlooks on life are absolutely endearing and captivating to an audience. They are relatable and driven. So, let’s say, for a moment, they are famous for just being pretty faces. So what? There are tons of celebrities famous for just being famous, like … all models and supermodels and, let’s be honest, a vast majority of the music industry. And those girls surely knew how to ride their success; whether it is actually their business decisions or hiring the right people, the Ks always have a project going. They have opened multiple stores across the nation, have written books, have started clothing lines for QVC and Sears, have endorsed numerous products, have hosted many events and are constantly modeling for different campaigns and magazines.
They’re the dumbest girls I’ve ever seen.
And you’re the meanest person ever! The Kardashian empire is reportedly worth millions and millions of dollars, more than you’ll probably make in your lifetime. They are smart businesswomen, like it or not, and have kept their success going for years, so far. Also, they choose to show their personal lives on television; although some of it may be scripted or guided, those are the real events happening in their lives. It’s comforting to watch them struggle with life problems; it reminds you that no matter how much money you have, there will always be challenges to overcome. I applaud them for undergoing public scrutiny for their lives in order to appease their fans. Many people wouldn’t broadcast their problems for any amount of money.
I’ve been very vocal about my love for the Kardashian girls. If you’ve ever been around me and said something negative about them, you know you have gotten at least a dirty look. They make mistakes, they help others and they look super classy doing it. My sister, mom and I even play “Kardashians” sometimes. It sounds crazy, but it makes the dinner table so much more fun. My 3-year-old niece sounds adorable when we make her say, “I’m going to marry Mason Dash.” And, since I am from the New Orleans area, I literally almost cried when I found out Khloe and Lamar were going to move to New Orleans. I was convinced we were going to cross paths, exchange clever banter and become instant friends. But, until that happens, I’ll just keep watching their shows and glamming it up. And if you still don’t believe in the Kardashians, that’s your loss. Bible.