SEC championship within reach for tennis team

With back-to-back SEC West titles under their belt and a spot in the top-10, the next step for tennis seniors Louis Cant, George Coupland and Artem Ilyushin is to capture the SEC Championship. These seniors have rebuilt the program in four years and would love nothing less than to end with a championship.

The team is ranked No. 9 nationally and landed the No. 3 seed for the tournament with a win over Ole Miss last weekend. Not only was the win at Ole Miss significant simply because it was the Rebels, but it also secured the No. 3 seed for this weekend, eluding a match against the defending SEC Champions and No. 4 seed Florida Gators. Cant said avoiding Florida gives the Bulldogs a better chance of going to the finals.
“It makes a big difference and will give us more energy throughout the whole tournament,” Cant said.
Along with the favorable seeding, the Dogs have the advantage of hosting the tournament. Last year, Florida was the No. 5 seed but hosted and won the championship. State has only lost at home once this season against Virginia, who is currently ranked No. 2 in the country.
Although MSU may not have the nicest tennis facilities in the league, head coach Per Nilsson said he definitely wanted to host the tournament, and having a big crowd will be key.
“It’s such a home-field advantage, especially if you have it during a weekend like this,” Nilsson said. “It really matters getting down to that last match because it helps you push through. It makes you feel like this is really important for everybody, and it gives you a little extra; the fans also get on the visiting team a little bit, which will make them nervous.”
After earning a first-round bye, the team will play the sixth-seeded Tennessee Volunteers, who are fresh off a win against No. 11 Alabama, today at 11 a.m. The Dogs defeated the Vols in their previous meeting this season, but the score was close at 4-3. With a win over the Vols, State would be in great position to host the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Georgia and Kentucky handed State its only two SEC losses of the year, and baring upsets, the Dogs would face Georgia in the semifinals and the winner would play Kentucky in the finals. Although these matchups are tempting to think about, Coupland said the team must focus on one match at a time.
“Each match is so tough, so you have to overcome that one first before you have the next one,” he said. “We definitely have a shot to beat (Kentucky). There’s not a team in the nation we don’t have a shot to beat because one through six we’re great players, but we have to keep it one match at a time.”
A large crowd is expected due to Super Bulldog Weekend, especially if the Dogs advance to the finals on Sunday since there is no baseball game that day. But playing in front of people is nothing the Dogs are not used to doing. Several of the players played in the French Open or U.S. Open for kids and love big-time atmospheres. Nilsson said his players enjoy having a big crowd, and anything can happen in conference tournaments.
“If we play well, we can beat anyone; but if we don’t play well, we can lose to some teams that we feel like we’re better than.” Nilsson said. “We’ll have to win a few spots and maybe upset someone, but I know we can do it.”