Critics too harsh on Invisible Children’s multiple efforts

If you’ve watched any news channel, read any newspaper, or been social at all the last two months, you’ve at least heard about the Kony 2012 campaign. Before I go into detail about the controversy, let’s lay down some facts. The Kony 2012 campaign was first initiated by an organization called Invisible Children. The main goal of the campaign, as stated in their viral video, is to make Kony “famous.” In other words, they want the world to be aware of Joseph Kony’s horrendous crimes, and then turn this knowledge into a world-wide effort to bring Kony to justice. The video urges American citizens to write their congressmen, put up posters and even wear bracelets to let the American government know that the public cares and wants to keep U.S. troops in Uganda to aid in the capture of Joseph Kony.
With his child-slave army, numerous kidnappings and murders and other horrendous acts, no one doubts that Joseph Kony should be brought to justice. However, many are questioning Invisible Children’s methods of making Kony famous as well as its proposed plans of action. The Atlantic’s  Mark Fisher describes the video as having neocolonial undertones when he states that the campaign “subtly reinforces an idea that has been one of Africa’s biggest disasters: that well-meaning Westerners need to come in and fix it.” To this I would respond, why does the United States get involved in any conflict? As in the wars of Iraq and Afghanistan, American leaders have urged that American troops are there to protect democracy and promote peace.
Speculation has increased as to the government’s real motives, however. Most questions circle around control of oil and America’s own economic interests in Iraq and Afghanistan. If the American government can send troops to another country to protect economic interests using the thin veil of democracy to justify our participation, why can’t we actually help those who need it and use our resources for something that is truly good?
Kony 2012 isn’t about imposing our Western values on others or trying to protect our own interests. It’s about helping those who truly need it when we have the ability and resources to come to their aid. Ignoring this issue is not an option.
Other critics of the Kony 2012 campaign claim that Invisible Children’s viral video has over-simplified the issue and presented the facts in a misleading fashion. However, how can Invisible Children even begin to describe the years of intertwining political and other tensions that underly the current problems? There is no better way to simplify the complicated situation by stating what is obviously wrong and taking place in Uganda and the surrounding areas.
Emily L, a campaign manager for the Care2 organization and  a Drop in the Bucket worker who lived in Uganda, states it well when she said, “There are other points that we could go into, but in IC’s defense, they had 30 minutes to make their case and tell their story. The story they told is easier to understand than a more complex and nuanced narrative that would be more factually accurate but more difficult to follow.” Other supporters of the movement, such as Ishaan Tharoor of Time Magazine, said, “It’d be churlish to rebuke Invisible Children for wanting to help those afflicted overseas, while moving tens of thousands of previously apathetic Americans (at least to hit the re-tweet button) at home.”
Growing up, I was always taught to follow Gandhi’s wise words: “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Invisible Children’s Kony 2012 campaign urges Americans to do just that. Those who claim the leaders of Invisible Children are neocolonialists are reading too much into a simple message they are trying to convey: something has to be done. Efforts have been made up to this point, but they haven’t been enough. Joseph Kony, the number one world’s most wanted fugitive, is still at large. Invisible Children simply wants justice for the children and families affected by Kony’s crimes without a hidden agenda.
            Even if some don’t agree with its methods, Invisible Children has made an impact in the effort to track down Kony. In fact, many suspect in response to the video that the African Union has sent 5,000 soldiers to aid the manhunt for Kony. In response to the criticisms, Invisible Children has answered every question raised with grace and honesty. It has an entire section dedicated on its website to addressing issues many have brought forth in the past few weeks. There will be critics when a few try to stand up and make a difference; however, Invisible Children still backs its Kony 2012 campaign whole-heartedly and hopes that it can achieve its one true goal: Make Kony famous.