Bama proves too much to handle for Lady Dogs

The Bulldogs outhit but did not outscore the No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide Sunday in Starkville.
After dropping close contests both Friday (5-4) and Saturday (4-2), the Lady Dogs lost a competitive 9-3 ballgame Sunday afternoon, completing the series sweep for the Tide.
With the loss, Mississippi State fell to 19-18 (3-13), and Alabama improved to 35-1 (12-1).
Leading the way for Alabama was pitcher Jackie Traina, the starter for both Friday and Sunday, who came to Starkville at 19-0 and left 21-0. Her 18 strikeouts on the weekend proved to be the difference in an otherwise relatively even series.
Pitching was not the only reason the Crimson Tide edged the Bulldogs. On the series, Alabama hit four home runs to Mississippi State’s two; this included a game- deciding grand slam Sunday in the top of the fourth to give Alabama a 6-1 lead, one they would not relinquish.  MSU head coach Vann Stuedeman said the grand slam was a key turning point in the game.
“They had a very key, timely home run. You just don’t have a break in that lineup,” Stuedeman said.
The Bulldogs did not go away lightly, though. Starting on the mound for State Friday and Sunday was junior Stephanie Becker, who pitched 9.2 innings on the weekend while striking out 10 and giving her team a chance to win.
Although State wanted to take a game from the Tide, a moral victory could certainly be taken from this weekend for this young team, playing toe-to-toe against arguably the best team in college softball. Senior Ka’ili Smith said despite the losses, she was still proud of her team’s efforts.
“We still lost, so we’re never satisfied, and we always want the W. I am proud of my team for playing through all seven innings for three games,” Smith said.
A timely hit here or there could have made the difference in possibly grabbing a game in this series for the Dogs, who stranded 10 on base Sunday. The Bulldogs left the bases loaded in both the third and fifth innings, losing a chance at a couple of huge innings. On the other side, Alabama capitalized with the bases loaded, with Danae Hays hitting a grand slam in the fourth en route to a six-run inning.
“We have to be able to stop the bleeding. You have to follow an error with an out or follow a walk with an out,” Stuedeman said.
State’s only home run Sunday was a solo shot by senior Brittany Bell, her eighth, in the bottom of the seventh.
The Bulldogs now turn their attention to in-state rival Southern Mississippi Wednesday and Arkansas, in Fayetteville, this weekend.
The Razorbacks were swept last weekend by LSU and are the only team in the SEC West behind State, sitting at 18-17 (2-13).
Stuedeman said MSU must figure out a way to get some timely hits.
“We’re hitting the ball and hitting it well. That timely hit is going to fall, no doubt,” Stuedeman said.