International Fiesta Day to be held

Joan Mylroie swears by her special ingredient like any other proud owner of a good recipe.
Although her additive cannot be measured in cups or tablespoons, it plays a part in any outdoor event: sunshine.
Mylroie is the vice president of the World Neighbor’s Association, host of International Fiesta Day. The event, in its 22nd year, celebrates cultural diversity at Mississippi State University and in the Starkville community. Mylroie said good weather is the biggest variable in the fiesta’s success.
“The participants always do a wonderful job,” she said. “The people that cook the food do a wonderful job. The flags look beautiful when the sun is out and the sky is blue. Sunshine is what makes the event.”
To Mylroie, sunshine helps illuminate the many different colors, faces and cultures present in the day’s festivities. Over 50 countries will be represented at this year’s International Fiesta Day, which will take place on the Drill Field on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The event includes a variety of activities such as the parade of flags, the crowning of Mr. and Ms. International Fiesta and 16 performances by a slew of student organizations and local community groups. Booths and exhibits will also be set up to preview different cultures and taste native food for a small fee.
Ali Reardon, public relations major and intern for IFD, took a long pause before she could decide what her favorite portion of the day was. She ultimately landed on the variety of performances.
“I think a lot of the entertainment will impress people,” she said. “In the past, it has been full on: colorful outfits, authentic dress and authentic dances. It’s not generalized in any way. It is very authentic to the culture.”
The performances range from a youth praise band to a martial arts demonstration and everything in between. There are also activities for children such as face painting, a piñata and other games like ring toss and pabitin. Five game tickets cost $1.
Reardon said getting all ages involved is imperative to the event’s success.
“I think children are important because they’re so easy to adapt. They learn the new cultures, they’re impressed by the new cultures, and it’s enriching for them to get that kind of experience at such a young age,” she said.
Simone Cottrell is one of those who attended IFD as a child. She went to her first IFD in fourth grade. Her mother is Cambodian and her father is half Hungarian. Cottrell said going to IFD was one of the ways their family integrated into campus after moving to Starkville.
“I think having a tradition that celebrates diversity, that connects the campus and the community of Starkville, is something we look forward to every year,” she said.
Cottrell is an office associate for MSU in the College of Arts & Sciences. She began getting involved with IFD two years ago when she started overseeing the Mr. and Ms. International pageant.
The pageant has two divisions, children and adults, and this year’s took place on March 22. A panel of local judges picked between 14 contestants and six different countries. The winners of the adult division were Matthew Harriman representing the United States and Gita Ramakrishnan representing India.
The Little Mr. and Ms. International Fiesta are Furkan Coban, representing Turkey, and Shanautica Owens, representing the U.S. All of the winners will be crowned during the Fiesta’s opening ceremonies.
Mylroie said she thinks IFD is a unique experience in the confines of MSU.
“Everyone has smiles on their faces,” she said. “It’s just a pleasant day that everybody enjoys. You can travel around the world and that’s expensive, or you could come to Fiesta and essentially go around the world for free.”
In case of bad weather, all of the festivities will be moved to the Sanderson Center auxiliary gym, although Mylroie and the rest of those behind the production of IFD hope that is not the case.
“All we need is sunshine,” Mylroie said.