Reader finds sex column too much

Editor’s Note: This letter was written in regards to Rachel Perkin’s article published in last Friday’s issue of The Reflector on sex-related double standards.

I want to first state that I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion and their freedom of speech.  However, I found what Rachel Perkins wrote to not only be inappropriate but just down right unnecessary. No, I am not some male chauvinistic pig that thinks women should do all the work while men sit back and enjoy. I understand people shy away from talking about sex and men sometimes do not consider women’s feelings more underneath the sheets, but look what you are allowing. 

It would be one thing for this article to be published in the New York Times or another major city’s paper, but this paper represents Mississippi State.  It is clearly written on the first page:
“The Student Newspaper of Mississippi State University Since 1884”
Thus, when people read the article outside of Starkville, online or through the paper, do you really want that article to be the one they pay attention to?  I realize most of the readers are college-age students and sex is a common thing on a university campus, but open discussion of “penises, vaginas and sex” within a paper that represents the student body as a whole irks me.
Like I said, freedom of speech is a constitutional right, and Rachel is a talented writer. She succeeded in her goal of people talking about sex, but I do not want people to believe this is what MSU stands for or what the student body stands for.  Whether I like it or not, I know  it is an opinion section, but it is still in a paper that represents this great university. So, consider what this paper represents next time before my fellow students and I have to hear of a student’s sex life or experiences.