Moultrie declares for draft, coaching search continues

The man who goes by “MoneyBagz” on Twitter has left Mississippi State in pursuit of a basketball dream, and, well, money.
Forward Arnett Moultrie announced Wednesday he plans to enter the NBA draft and forego his senior season of eligibility but has not yet signed the official paperwork to do so. Because Moultrie declared for the draft in 2010 to test the waters, once he signs the paperwork to declare he cannot remove his name from consideration, per NCAA rules.
Moultrie released a statement through an MSU spokesperson on Wednesday confirming the news.
“After careful consideration and discussions with my family and coaches, I have decided to explore my options and enter the 2012 NBA draft,” he said. “I have not signed with an agent, as of yet. However, I anticipate doing so. I have enjoyed my time at Mississippi State University, and I will never forget the people I met and got to know. Nor will I ever forget my coaches and teammates. Keep me in your prayers and I will keep Bulldog Nation in mine.”
Moultrie averaged 16.4 points and 10.5 rebounds per game during his one season at State and was named first team All-SEC by the coaches and media.
Transferring from UTEP, Moultrie’s play was one of the main reasons MSU was able to rise into the top 15 in national rankings before sliding down the stretch and missing the NCAA Tournament. Moultrie is projected as a first round draft pick in most mock drafts.
He has until April 8 to officially make his decision, but he is widely expected to sign with an agent and enter the draft.

Coaching search continues; Stricklin comments
The search for MSU’s next basketball coach is still going strong after Valparaiso head coach Bryce Drew, reported to be a candidate for the job, removed his name from consideration on Wednesday, according to the Northwest Indiana Times. Drew interviewed for the job in Atlanta on Monday, according to the report.
Gary Parrish of cbssports.comreported Thursday that State is now targeting Vanderbilt assistant coach Dan Muller as Rick Stansbury’s replacement.
Athletic Director Scott Stricklin released a statement via Twitter on Thursday asking for patience from MSU fans as the search continues.
“Like Bulldog fans everywhere, I eagerly anticipate the hiring of Mississippi State’s next men’s basketball coach. However, from the beginning of this process, no deadline has been imposed on the search. It’s important that we hire the right candidate to lead our program, a person of integrity who will instill discipline, character and accountability into the men’s basketball program at Mississippi State. Thank you for your patience. Hail State!”