Elections enforced with fortune cookies, chips

Editor’s Note: This letter was in response to the editorial “Votes for platforms, not affiliations vital” published in Tuesday’s issue of The Reflector.
As the current Student Association comes to an end, the new administration faces the monumental task of leading 20,000 plus of tomorrow’s brightest and most eager minds into a future that holds more uncertainty than MSU’s NCAA tournament dreams.
However, this is a task that is often disregarded once the title of any of these given positions have been bestowed upon them. This year’s election has proved these types of statements to be true, just like they proved to be true last election. About two or three weeks ago, the huge billboards by the Union began popping up, the stickers went out, and the “elect whomever for whatever position” T-shirts started being worn with little known about any of those running or any of the positions in general, for that matter.
I do not have a problem with this. I really don’t. It’s simply the manner in which you people do this. Prior to Tuesday, I want to know where you were all those times I needed a pencil? I want to know where you were whenever I had a school issue or policy I had questions about? Basically, I want to know who you are and where you were? Before today.
I know there are rules on when the campaigns can begin and everything, but why weren’t you on the Drill Field tossing the ball in October and just being social in general? It would’ve been nice to see you mix it up with everybody. Tuesday, you want to know me. Tuesday, you want my vote. Today, YOU need ME. Please allow me to graciously thank you for taking time to speak to lil’ ole’ me.
Why should I vote for you? I have never seen these candidates before in my life. Anyone can stand on stage with Bully while smiling and nodding. I guess I just want to know why aren’t our elected student officials more visible to us as a student body? We want you to be visible and interact with every student: black, white, foreign, EVERYBODY, not just eating lunch with the fraternities and sororities and getting your picture taken with them.
I’m sure these elected student position people are around and “doing work behind the scenes,” as I have always been told. They always clamor to that as their call of duty as to why we never see them.
A recent poll of 19 people was put in The Reflectorlast week that asked the question, “Are you going to vote in the upcoming SA elections?” Eight said yes, three said they didn’t care and eight said no. Essentially, 11 of the 19 polled are indifferent to the need for an election at all. They possibly perceive it as “adults are in charge anyway.” Who’s to say? I dare to say that hardly an average student could tell you anything of the supposed “traditions” that have been claimed to be started or go on at our campus at all. Poll them if you must. Like me, they haven’t soon forgotten the chaos that was Tents for Tickets. Remember that?
Unfortunately, I don’t see much change coming about. The Drill Field was lined this past election day with representatives from each candidate passing out everything from fortune cookies to potato chips. I wondered, “Do any of these reps know anything about the candidate other than what was on the cards they were handing out?”
One guy even had a hot dog stand. Bribery, in plain day mind you, in pursuit of a vote from someone they had no idea who was, nor did he or she ever care to know. Until Tuesday. Tuesday, they wanted to make sure I knew how to login to my mystate account. I think I have that one figured out, Mr. or Ms. President-elect.
We as students are worth more than a bag of chips, people. We’re all that AND a bag of chips! I asked one of the representatives if we could expect free drinks and such every day if his candidate was elected. He meekly answered, “We’ll push for it,” in a tone only permitted in a fraternity house or local bar. Now that I think about it, we’re already handing out golden cowbells, why not spend some more and have a pizza party for those who actually fund this school to start with, right? That guy might get my vote after all. If this is how they handle the little things before they get in office, God forbid how they will handle the big stuff. If they are willing to bribe us with candy and suckers before being elected, imagine how we will be treated if they are elected? I’ll tell you, we’ll be a bunch of “suckers.”
Bribes are one of the main causes that has gotten our government into the shape it’s in today. To me, it’s sad our school will allow this sort of behavior from these potential school “leaders.” This is teaching them to follow the practices of those who run the government today, and we all know the kind of job they’re doing.
I want to know who is the best person for the job, not who is the best Betty Crocker. The first step in solving these kinds of problems is enforcing meaning on words such as “bribe” and “coward.” These words once held connotation that if you were labeled with either you were not considered worthy. Today, words such as these, along with the word “love,” are tossed around like yesterday’s clothes. However, as one of the candidate’s reps told me, “Everybody is passing stuff out!” So, your candidate is just like all the other ones?!? AHH!!
As fate would have it, my time at MSU is coming to an end. I’m leaving you in charge of it. Do as you wish. I’m leaving it as I found it. For now.
I will never be governed under the rule of whoever the elected officials turn out to be. All I can hope for you is a desire to hold everyone accountable both on campus and off whether they are an elected person or not. Decide for yourself if it’s really important. A great mind once said, “The problems of today will not be solved by the same type of thinking that created them.” Great people throughout history have taken this thought and put it into action. THIS IS OUR STATE! Let’s start acting like it.
As for now, I’ve pushed my morals to the side. Give me one of those free drinks! Who’s this John Galt guy that’s running? Pass me some relish for this free hot dog, will ya?