Get motivated to exercise, visit the gym regularly

We all have this problem: some days you just don’t want to go to the gym. Hey, I get it, I mean Mass Effect 3 just came out, spring break came and went and you probably have a lot of essays, tests and work to catch up on. Here are a few ways to stick to going to the gym:

1. Ask yourself why it is that you want to go to the gym, or run or exercise.I like to look at it this way: you need to have a short-term reason and a long-term reason to exercise and stay fit.
a. Short-term: this is usually a superficial reason to stay in the gym, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.You want to look good in the mirror, have a good beach body, fit into skinny jeans – it can be anything. Don’t let people tell you that isn’t motivation, or that you are superficial because the truth is looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing results will motivate you. For example: I first started working out because when I was in the 10th grade I would always get pushed around by the seniors when I was playing soccer. That made me mad, so I went to the gym. That didn’t keep me in the gym, but it motivated me in the short run.
b. Long-term: this is the deep reason, the one you might not have discovered.What do you hope to ultimately accomplish? Better health, a stronger body? You need to ask yourself these questions and then say: “Is all the sacrifice I make to go to the gym worth it?” It sure better be because if your answer is no, you probably aren’t motivated. My long-term reason to go to the gym is that when I have a family I want my sons to look up to me; I want to be an example. I don’t want to be the fat, out of shape dad that gets winded from a game of catch. What is your long-term reason? Do you have one?

2. Set quantifiable goals. A lot of people’s New Year’s resolutions are “I want to lose weight.” While that’s great, it isn’t enough. Set a goal you can measure. For example: I want to lose 25.5 pounds; I want to run a 5K in under 20 minutes; I want to bench-press 205 pounds. Those are goals you can measure, and you are more likely to stick to them.

3. Don’t just set realistic goals. For example, you might say “I want to lose 10 pounds.” That’s a realistic goal, but will it make you work hard for it? Will you be excited when you get there? I can bench 250 pounds. So say I set a goal of benching 260. Where is the challenge in that? Sure, it’s good in the short run, but what about the long run? Dream big! So I’ll tell you my new goal. I want to be able to bench twice my body-weight. That means weigh 150 and bench 300. That’s a lofty goal, but it will make me work hard for it. Strive for perfection even though it is unattainable.

4. Work out with other people that have similar goals.This will motivate you even more. Guys are competitive by nature and we always want to beat our friends. Nothing wrong with that.

5. Take some time and create playlists. Don’t just set your iPod on shuffle when you hit the gym or go for a run. Make a custom playlist. I know music is all about taste, but, in my opinion, I would much rather workout to Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch than Taylor Swift. A little extreme, but you know what I mean. Up-tempo music just motivates you more, so take some time to put those motivational tracks all in one place.

6. Plan ahead! I cannot stress how important this is. Don’t decide to go or not go to the gym based on how you feel on a given day. Plan your workouts for the whole week on Sunday. That way you already know that rain or shine, good day or bad day, you are going!

All the best and hit the gym today!