Hobart born leader, leaves legacy

I write in praise of outgoing Student Association President Rhett Hobart. I had the pleasure of working with Rhett on a number of Mississippi State University projects. As a result, I came to the conclusion that he is one of the most impressive college students I have ever met.  Beyond that, he is one of the most impressive leaders I have ever met.  And I know a lot of politicians.

In Rhett Hobart was merged two keys to success as a student body president: first, he has an unconditional love of State; second, he is a born leader.
Part and parcel of being a good leader is to have a command over the big picture — a “macro-” approach to things. To not miss the forest for the trees. People who are able to manage such thought are usually creative thinkers that can see bigger futures and lasting impacts.  This is Rhett Hobart.
Rhett’s contributions to Mississippi State will far exceed his time here.  Perhaps there is no greater testament to the success of a presidency than to have the dreams he manifests live far beyond his time in office. Decades from now, we will still guard and foster most of Rhett Hobart’s original ideas or his successful rejuvenation of past ones. This is not an easy thing to accomplish, and it is rare that any leader ever does.  Especially student body presidents.  
Was it a perfect presidency?  No. None are.  But as Teddy Roosevelt said:
“It is not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood.  Who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short.  Because there is no effort without error or shortcoming. 
“One who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause.  One who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”
I hope that we loyal members of this our Bulldawg Family will take a moment, should the opportunity arise, to simply say to Rhett Hobart:  Thank you for your good work.  
Let the cowbells ring in honor of our outgoing SA president Rhett Hobart.  He exits the office having left this holy place in better shape than it was when his term began, as leaders are supposed to do. 
Wrapped in Maroon & White,
           Whit Waide