Sidney, Smith no longer with MSU

Slightly less than three years after it began, the Renardo Sidney saga at Mississippi State came to a close Monday. The junior forward has declared for the NBA draft and signed with an agent , ending his MSU career, the university announced.
Sidney signed with MSU in April of 2009 but missed all of the 2009-2010 season and part of the 2010-2011 season due to suspension for receiving improper benefits. Coming into State, Sidney was expected to be a major factor for the Bulldogs, but weight and conditioning issues caused his play to be inconsistent. In a release from MSU, Sidney said he was thankful for the opportunity given to him by MSU.
“I appreciate Mississippi State giving me an opportunity to play, but I feel it’s time for me to move on,” Sidney said. “I’m grateful to all the administrators, coaching staff and the fans for their support during my time at Mississippi State. I’m entering the draft to follow my dream of playing in the NBA and to help my family.”
Sidney showed flashes of athletcisim that made him look like the top recruit he once was but never consistently played at that level. Easily one of the most criticized players in MSU basketball history, Sidney frequently drew criticism from national media during his MSU career.
Sidney will be represented by Rogue Sports, an entertainment firm that also represents athletes, according to the release. The Jackson native played in 48 games during his Bulldog career, starting in 46 of them. He averaged 11.5 points per game and 6.1 rebounds per game.
According to his Twitter feed, Sidney has been training in Florida since last week and will likely continue to train there until the NBA draft in June.

Smith looks to transfer
Freshman guard DeVille Smith has withdrawn from school and left the Mississippi State basketball program, a team spokesperson announced Monday.
Smith, who came to MSU from Calloway High School, averaged 4.2 points per game in 26 appearances for the Bulldogs this season. He missed playing time due to frequent headaches and dizziness that led to extended hospital stays.
Smith is reported to be interested in enrolling at Jackson State University. Smith’s high school coach, Wayne Brent, told the Clarion-Ledgerthe guard was “entertaining the idea” of enrolling at Jackson State.
The departure of Smith leaves a significant void at the guard position for State. With seniors Dee Bost and Brian Bryant graduating, that only leaves three scholarship guards on MSU’s roster (Rodney Hood, Shaun Smith and Jalen Steele.)
MSU signed Josh Gray, a guard from Houston, Texas in November, but he has asked to be released from his National Letter of Intent following the retirement of Rick Stansbury.
Junior forward Arnett Moultrie has yet to make a decision regarding the NBA draft as of Monday. All of this happens while MSU continues its coaching search. A reported MSU target, Steve Prohm of Murray State, signed a contract extension with the Racers on Monday.