Spring break tips

We all have memorable spring break stories: that one friend that wandered off on the beach for six hours; that time your best friend got an M.I.P. two weeks before his 21st birthday; that time you woke up in a pillow/cushion fort with a Doritos bag on your head (I’ve seen it). I want you to make more spring break memories, minus the law and debilitating hangovers. Let me guess: you’re going to the beach? Panama City? Destin? Got it. Here are some obligatory safety tips and such to keep in mind while you’re getting your break on.

• Did you know that sun maximizes the effect of alcohol?I didn’t until right now. Day drinking is fun, no doubt, but one must be extra careful when doing so, especially in direct sunlight on a beach. You’re going to get super dehydrated, which we all know is bad but apparently don’t care why so hear this: you will get fatigued and that will ruin your party stamina. So drink some water!

• Speaking of the sun, have you ever had sun poisoning?Sun poisoning is a sunburn so bad that you may blister, peel (ew) and then get sick with flu-like symptoms. Bummer. Avoid that by not slathering yourself in baby oil and lying stationary for hours in the sun. Take breaks! Get in the ocean, go on a walk, play volleyball but, most importantly, WEAR SUNSCREEN. You know that you can get skin cancer from being badly burned ONE time? That’s real.

• Here’s an easy one some too often ignore: traveling in groups. Of course you’re going to the bar and the beach and the mall together, but what about a quick run up to the hotel room? Or a bathroom break? These are the times you most need at least one other person with you. We all know what creepers are capable of, so please be careful and grab a buddy!

On vacation, you feel free, less inhibited, carefree. You might be tempted to do something risky. Here it is for the millionth time: DO NOT drink and drive, you know why. Remember: the drinking age in Florida is 21 years old ,and no one will forget because you’re on spring break. Don’t risk coming home with a fine to pay. That fake ID that might work at a hole-in-the-wall isn’t going to cut it at a bigger club and they DO react to that type of thing. Be smart; you’re college educated!

• On going out, the most important thing I can tell you is to watch your drink.People still get roofied; that is a real thing. Be sure to stick close to your friends, no matter how cute that guy is, and don’t wander off. Pay attention to them and look out for each other. If someone starts acting out of control after one adult beverage, be concerned! Do not accept drinks from strangers. No matter how free and delicious, that’s dangerous!

I’m not trying to insult your intelligence; you know these things. I’m reminding you because every year college students make dumb mistakes and the consequences can be worse than sun poisoning or a raging hangover. So be smart this break, wherever you are, and make some more memories.