Bulldogs gain Belk Bowl victory, says goodbye to Prescott

Sarah Story

The Mississippi State Bulldogs defeated North Carolina State 51-28 Wednesday in the Belk Bowl, also the last game of Dak Prescott’s career at MSU. MSU will open the 2016 season on Sept. 3 in Davis-Wade Stadium against South Alabama. 

It was the last game of the season, the last of 2015 and more importantly, the last game of Dak Prescott’s career at Mississippi State. MSU took on North Carolina State in the Belk bowl on Wednesday afternoon. Prescott and the Bulldogs would steamroll the Wolfpack 51-28.
It was a quick start for MSU as first-time starting linebacker Gerri Green intercepted NC State QB Jacoby Brissett on the first play of the game. After that, it would only take Prescott and company 1:23 seconds to score the first touchdown of the game. The Bulldogs would continue to roll and jump out to a 21-0 before the Wolfpack could score. NC State would get the lead down to 7 before MSU took the game pack and put it away.
MSU has only had six nine win teams in its history. This game making this team the sixth. Current Head Coach Dan Mullen has led three of those six teams. He had this to say on MSU’s quick start.
“It’s huge, I talk to our guys, especially in a bowl game, you want to start fast because you haven’t played in a while and all of the sudden you start fast and it’s about getting game ready for the game,” said Mullen said. “Our guys were prepared, I think we did a great job of preparing in practice back in Starkville.”
Dak Prescott deservingly won the Belk Bowl MVP trophy in his last game as a Bulldog. Prescott went 25-42 for 380 passing yards and had four passing touchdowns to just one interception. He was also the team’s leading rusher as he had 47 yards on 12 carries.  
Prescott is MSU’s undisputed greatest player ever. He owns 38 school records including every single MSU passing record. He is the fourth player in college football history to have 9000+ passing yards and 2500+ rushing yards.
When asked if he thought he would break so many records when he came to MSU, Prescott had modest words.
“I’ve got high expectations for myself so I’m not going to say it’s something that I never thought of or wanted to do or that I didn’t think that could happen,” said Prescott. “I mean obviously I did, but for it all to become true, for it to be so surreal is special and very humbling.”
On the receiving side of the ball, the Bulldogs were led by De’Runnya Wilson, who has a decision ahead of him to either declare for the NFL draft or come back next season. He had five catches for 96 yards and one touchdown reception.          
Fred Ross would score by both receiving and rushing. Ross would end the day with seven catches for 74 yards and one touchdown. The 74 yards also put him over 1000 receiving yards on the season, as he is the second MSU player ever to go over 1000 receiving yards. He also had a rushing touchdown on a single 33-yard jet sweep.
Even Center Justin Malone got in the action as he picked up a fumble in the endzone for a touchdown. The Offensive Line had a good day after losing the starter at Center Jamaal Clayborn. The Offensive Line gave up only one sack and paved the way for 189 rushing yards on 35 team carries. Giving MSU an average of 5.4 yards per carry.
Head Coach Dan Mullen praised the Offensive Line after the game.
 “I thought they did a really good job. The key was, with guys banged up and moving guys around, to control the line of scrimmage,” Mullen said. “Cover guys up in the run game, protect the quarterback in the pass game.”
MSU also saw glimpses of the future in this game. Redshirt freshman Running Back Aeris Williams took a 33-yard rush to the house for a touchdown. Both redshirt freshmen Linebacker Gerri Green and Safety Brandon Bryant ended up with interceptions.
On defense, MSU was led by junior Linebacker Beniquez Brown. Brown had nine total tackles to go with two sacks and two tackles for loss. Linebacker J.T. Gray joined him with nine tackles of his own to go with a single sack and one tackle for loss. Linebacker Richie Brown rounds out the group with eight tackles and one sack and one tackle for loss.
It was an emotional day as MSU football said goodbye to its greatest son. But it was also a day to build on. This game gave MSU much needed momentum heading into the offseason and showcasing glimpses of the talent as this team continues on into the future. MSU will open the 2016 season on Sept. 3 in Davis-Wade Stadium against South Alabama.