Race issues resonate in reflection of MLK Jr. Day

I spent most of this past Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday discussing current events regarding race issues our society faced in the past and how similar issues still threaten racial progress in our nation today.   I respect Martin Luther King, Jr. for the things he did to get our country where it is today but we still have a long way to go. Events like the aftermath of the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, the Eric Garner case in New York and the Tamir Rice case in Ohio have all been hot-button issues in the last few months and have appeared to place an even bigger magnifying glass on the topic of race.   I think race is an interesting topic to discuss because most people have their own set of opinions and beliefs because that’s the only side they have truly ever experienced. 

As I sat in the movie theater watching the new movie “Selma” I witnessed a powerful film that was thought provoking and intrigued me to learn more and respect the bridge of progress regarding racial inequality.  The film shared a message of compassion and promoted the idea of equality during some of the darkest times in our country regarding the subject of race.  That was something I felt could reflect today when encountering situations with race to help improve relations —the film had that kind of psychological effect.  I’ve always heard stories and viewed films about similar subjects, but this was just another instance where seeing it can never be enough to realize how it affected the typical way of life.  

Race still plays a major role in society in 2015, but has dramatically changed since the days of the Civil Rights era.  The 1960s was a period of time I greatly admire: so much was fought for and fought against.  I think of the behavior and actions enacted by others based simply on how different another set of people looked and the abuse systematically in place as an enforcement tool.  

Growing up, I realized not everyone experiences life in America the same way.   I lived in a unique situation growing up because I have experienced many things which, historically, African-Americans were not offered the opportunity to do.  I grew up in a home with parents who experienced the days of segregated schools and neighborhoods, but fought for the things they have achieved today.  I was taught that an education is a vital key to learning and understanding more of the world around me, especially in Mississippi, the place I call home.  Coming to Mississippi State University is a decision I have never regretted making; I’m thankful for the experiences and lessons learned.  

As I often walk across campus and town, I still witness segregation in a way.  One example I’ve seen in my years here takes place inside the Colvard Student Union: different races sit grouped together. Whether that’s voluntary or not, I believe it relates to our preferences to often being with the people who make us feel comfortable, which often appears to be members of the same race.  I witness how neighborhoods and churches are still segregated as well.  I believe racism is somewhat created from past, bad experiences between races and stereotypes are continually passed along through time.  I believe these same stereotypes have continued to add to the tension between the relationships races share.  While traveling across the country I often realize how different the South is from other parts of the U.S.  I still find there to be racism everywhere, either in a subtle form or more direct, in-your-face style. But in the South, the history here is often too strong to break free.  I see memorabilia of Confederate flags and other images that muster up the dark history of the Confederacy. I don’t understand the purpose of holding onto these images.  Some Southern states still celebrate Robert E. Lee day, in place or in parallel of Martin Luther King, Jr. day.  Both were leaders who fought for what they believed in but only one was a Nobel Peace Prize recipient and practiced non-violence even in the face of adversity with violent means enacted upon him.  I believe we often spend too much time ignoring or trying to forget the racial problems and not enough trying to mend those issues and realize the differences.