Jack White at the Hump: MMP presents eight-time Grammy award winning artist

The headliner of this year’s Coachella music festival, Jack White, is arguably the biggest name to ever perform in our Mississippi college town. 

Formerly a part of the band The White Stripes, White began a solo career in 2012 with his album, “Blunderbuss.” The singer has won eight Grammy awards, and both of his solo albums reached No. 1 on the Billboard Charts. “Rolling Stone” magazine named him No. 70 of 100 of the best guitarists of all time.

Thomas Fitzner, student director of Music Maker Productions, said due to MMP’s repertoire, big-name musicians have finally started to see Starkville as a worthwhile stop on tours.

“Through Music Maker’s success, we have built a strong reputation within the music industry. As a result, artists like Jack White are now looking to Starkville as viable options when routing tours,” he said. “However, we rely on the students and community to support these shows and buy tickets in order to prove to the industry that Starkville is capable of handling concerts of this size, and the ticket sales have to prove the capability to agents.”

Excitement stirs around Starkville as White’s performance draws near. Nadia         Elalighe, sophomore communication major on the MMP team, said she is thrilled a musician of         White’s caliber is coming to Mississippi State University.

“I’m excited for him to perform here because it’s not very often that an eight-time Grammy award winning artist comes through Starkville,” she said. “This concert is going to be talked about 20 or 30 years from now, no doubt.”

Fitzner also said White appeals to all Starkville residents.

“In addition to rock being one of the strongest genres in Starkville, White’s diverse track record within the industry helps him appeal to many people,” he said.

Some of White’s most popular and recognizable songs include several over the course of his career with The White Stripes, The Raconteurs and his solo career. 

“Seven Nation Army” is the anthem for many sporting events and a song football    fans will recognize. More of his successful songs include “Fell in Love with a Girl,” “Blue Orchid,” “Icky Thump,” “Love Interruption,” “Lazaretto,” “Love is Blindness,” “Sixteen Saltines,” “Freedom at 21” and “Steady as She Goes.”

The last and only time White performed in Mississippi was in 2007 in his band The White Stripes. The performance in Southaven incidentally became the legendary band’s last show ever. After seven years, White returns tonight to put on one of his iconic shows at Starkville‘s very own Humphrey Coliseum. Doors open at 7 p.m. and White will start around 9 p.m. Tickets will be available at the door, and student discounts  are still available.